Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

What to expect from this Salvia

glaswegian
15 years ago

I started this salvia from seeds indoors under lights, and moved it out after all signs of frost.

{{gwi:989579}}

Now the seeds were a mixture of yvonnes salvia and red salvia. Can I expect this to get larger and bloom anytime soon?

Comments (10)

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I am seeing buds so if the temps stay warm as they are expected to this week, it may be blooming by next week end. I can't tell how tall it is right now but it definitely looks to be more of a Salvia coccinea Texas Sage) as opposed to Yvonne's salvia which is a Salvia splendens. If it is seed from the species mine get about 3ft. tall and 2-3ft. wide. If it is one of the hybrids like lady in red it may stay under 2ft.

Penny

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

My only comment is that it sure looks healthy.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Yes I remember sowing some Salvia coccinea Texas Sage. Am guessing they attract humers as well, and are they perennials?

• penny1947
    15 years ago

No coccinneas are hardy and are considered annuals even in zone 9-10. I grew the Texas sage, Coral Nymph, Forest Fire and Lady in Red for my hummers and wouldn't be without them. They bloom earlier than some of the other salvias and the hummers take right to them.

Penny

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

salvia far left of the pic

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I could hardly see the salvia behind the coneflower(?). If it is one of the hybrids it will be completely obscured behind that plant. Also your weigelia on the right is going to get really big ( up to 6 ft. tall and about 4 or 5 ft. around). Mine is still young and has been pruned several times and is still about 4 ft. tall by 3 ft. around. You may start looking for a more open area for it before the roots get too big to move. I had to move my 4yr. old shrub last fall to a more open area and it nearly killed me digging those roots out.

Penny

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can I move the weigela now Penny, or wait till the fall to transplant?

• penny1947
    15 years ago

If your weigela was just planted this year you could move it now just keep it well watered until it becomes re-established. If it was planted in a previous year, I would wait until fall to move it as the roots have probably spread and anchored down quite a bit and you would tear up your bed trying to get it out. Plus it would stress the plant out too much this time of the year.

Penny

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Pen....here is a pic of the salvia you couldn't see

scarlet beans

{{gwi:532661}}

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Salvias look great! Mine should look so good this year. They just aren't growing like they should.

Is that a trumpet vine I see to the left of your salvias and benind your Scarlet runner beans? If it is, you don't want that puppy close to the house. Also the scarlet runner beens toppled my small arbor one year. Granted I think I planted 4 beans on each side of the arbor but it sure did weigh down that poor little arbor.

Your bed looks beautiful right now but I wonder if you have created a monster by the end of the summer LOL! You have some pretty aggressive plants in that bed.

Keep me posted as I don't get to check this forum as much as I should

Penny

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions