Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viv111

Upset Mama Hummer !?

Viv111
11 years ago

Hello,

We were blessed this spring to have a hummingbird nest right out our window. We watched Mama finish building her nest, roost, and eventually feed her 2 little babies. They grew and grew, of course, with Mama feeding frequently. One little one was practicing wing-flapping from the edge of the nest for a couple of days. He got strong enough to fly away yesterday. The second one stood on the edge of the nest today with Mama very actively involved with him - hovering, prodding, flying nearby, perching very nearby. While I was out for a short time, baby #2 also learned to fly away. This whole process unfolded as I thought it would from what I read. But my biggest curiosity is now... Mama Hummer is staying around this empty nest almost constantly! We have an outdoor cat and she is also flying all around the cat! and too close for comfort! Do mother hummingbirds experience some sort of "empty nest syndrome"? Is it possible for her to be having some kind of separation anxiety? I realize that there is nothing I can do to help her. I was just wondering if any of you are familiar with this behavior. Maybe she just really likes it on our patio and is looking for the next place to build a new nest? Or will the babies return to the nest at all?

Any info you have would be appreciated...

From Mama Hummer's worried mama...

-- Viv :/

Comments (8)

• tima9209
    11 years ago

The fledglings may hang close by the nest for a while after they leave it, and she's protecting the area and them.

• Viv111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Tima. I appreciate your input. :)

• eric580
    11 years ago

Hummingbirds reuse nests so she might be guarding it.

• Viv111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know! Thanks, Eric. How frequently do they lay eggs?

• tima9209
    11 years ago

If she does reuse the nest or build a new one in the same bush or tree or whatever, start a webcam! Here's the original one:

http://phoebeallens.com/

Lots of information there on Phoebe's nesting habits. She's quite prolific, though she's had some very bad luck this year with hawks and crows. But that hasn't stopped her.

• Viv111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, Tima! Just went to your website. Just in time as you're on Hatch Watch! This is great! Yes, my Mama Hummer has still been staying around today. Not as constant as yesterday, but around a lot. I like the idea that she might use her nest again or build another nearby. From what I read on your site, looks like this was probably her last hatching of the season. Anyway, this is all new to me and great fun! I wish the best for Phoebe and her new babies! :)

• eric580
    11 years ago

Hummingbirds have babies once (or if they're lucky twice) per year.
    I hope to see a nesting hummingbird next year when they all know about my garden.

• tima9209
    11 years ago

It's not my web site. I don't have a web site. I'm just a fan.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions