Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeysuckle vine

Posted by coolaces 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 18:26

HELP!!! my vine started blooming about a week ago. it was striking and loaded with flowers. now new flowers are discolored and clumped together and distorted. whats up with that?insects?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeysuckle vine

Check for aphids. If that's it, a good blast from the garden hose will knock them off, or you could try relocating some ladybugs onto your vines. If that's not it, post some pictures if you can for more details.

o

SOunds like aphids to me also. Many of us all around the country are having a problem with aphids this year on our honeysuckles. The blast of water will help and you can actually buy lady bugs at various garden centers.

Penny

o

The aphids have only just stopped now here in NC, probably because of our heat wave (the only good thing about it!). They were really swarming early in the spring...yuck. The ladybugs were busy.

o

thank you penny and buckmaster; thats kind of what i figured but not sure what aphids look like; i found some blak bugs on my vine with an orange stripe about the neck area. aphid?

o

Yep. There are hundreds of varieties of aphids of all colors, sizes, and shapes. Check out the link below for more info than you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aphids

o

Yup-- I bought some lady bugs , stayed on the plant for a couple of days and then they were gone. They can work very quickly if you have a lot or if you have one ladybug maybe a few days.

o
more on ladybugs

Last year I had aphids attack a subrotunda plant and its leaves looked curled , distorted and smallish . I thought it was a gonner then I saw one ladybug on it and I had heard the stories of what they can do so I left plant alone for a few days and sure enough that plant became largest and healthiest plant in my garden, so praise the ladybug. If you have an infected plant and have ladybugs to put on it , water the plant good first leaves and all then release the bug at night at the base of the plant and they wont fly away. I released about 50 on mine and in two days , no more aphids.

o

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your ladybugs, steve? And how much did you spend?

o

I think Steve bought them on EBAY

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here