Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Filler Suggestions

Posted by greenthumbzdude (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 19:45

Hi,
i need some suggestions. I have gaps in my hummingbird garden that i would like to fill in. I need something that will spread and produce alot of flowers that hummingbirds will like. I thought about Black and Blue sage but i dont think i will be able to survive in my zone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Filler Suggestions

What size gaps are you talking about? And are you looking for perennials or annuals? What Zone are you in?

o

the gaps are a about a foot but there are several of them. Iam looking for perennials and i am in zone 6. As i mentioned earlier iam looking for something that spreads and attracts hummers.

o

greenthumb

Of ones I can think of that are perennial , spread and attract hummers are bee balm[the taller kind] and cardinal flower. Something else you might keep in mind that you could do with annuals that I did and it works. Another forum member had mentioned after a couple of frosts cut the annuals down to about 6 inches or less and cover the entire bed with a tarp or I used plastic[visqueen] and cover the edges with whatever bags of mulch, sheperds hooks , heavy rocks anything to seal the edges. Then dont uncover till it warms up april/may. Before I tried this method I had not had agastache tutti frutti come back for me here [tender perennial] but this year it did after covering. Also all the black and blues plus the new ones formed by the runners,, hope this helps.

o

Bee balm is a must have; Jacob Cline is gorgeous. It's not as aggressive as some people have complained about; I truly wish it were. Mine seem to be dying off and I've been on the hunt for new plants. I see them everywhere, but now that I need one or two, none of my local nurseries have them! I have also noticed plenty of activity on my Lychnis chalcedonica (Maltese Cross). I have 3 varieties and this is the first year they've been hitting it alot. They do tend to reseed, which isn't a problem for me (I love it), but is easity managable by removing the spent seed heads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here