Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rthummer

Could the youngins be fighting with the grownups??

rthummer
16 years ago

Question-

I have 4 feeders near each other. I have to admit that they are by a patio door and it is easy for me to see my little birds, so I don't want to move those. I have taken someone's advice on this forum and placed the other feeders around the yard so the dominate honeys will leave the passive honeys alone.

But...lately I have seen small honeys(hummers) looks like males, and they are juniors fighting my larger females birds. (I think they are fighting) The juniors (I at least think they are juniors) are nice a plump, but they are little in size... Are they males born this year that are just feeling their oats, or what is going on.... One male in particular is being aggressive to everyone on the block... I went and bought another feeder like the one they seem to love and placed it on the other patio door, but to no avail, the juniors(I think) are still wanting to keep everyone away...

This is what they do- they will get the other hummers attention who is at the feeder and they will display their tail feathers and they for a few moments fly parellel to each other and then off they go with junior (smaller bird) chasing the larger female away.

Is it time the juniors are flying around and out of their nest??? I am in zone 7. Have some of the babes hatched yet? Could this be this years offspring????

I am very fortunate here, we have a good showing of hummers this year, but I am assuming it is because we are surrounded by forrest so their are plenty of tiny insects for them to feast on. I just don't know why I am having so many, I have only been at this for 3 years so I am quite the novice here.

We are in drought conditions...My flowers look like heck. The only things that look worth anything are my numerous trumpet vines and coral honeysuckle.

I better stop, getting way off subject here.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions