Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maltese cross floppy...suggestions please

Posted by beaniebeagle (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 21:11

my maltese cross is just too floppy after it rains. I would rather see the hummingbirds in the air, not near the ground

which would be better, staking or pinching back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maltese cross floppy...suggestions please

I hope someone can help you. I don't grow this plant.

o

I would stake yours and keep them nice and tall- I use stakes that have a three inch circle at the top. The circle also provides a perch for my visitors!

o

I use the wire fencing and just cut it long enough to encircle the plant. It is only about 12-15 inches tall but it works like a charm. My 6 plants are over 4ft. tall and have gone through a couple of storms with winds between 20 and 30 mph this year already

Penny

o

thanks....stake it is

might need to use some wire fencing, have an area of about 4 feet by 6 feet full of them

o

If you use the rolled wire fencing the green blends right in with the plants and wehen they fill out you can't even see it. My plants just went through three days of rain and they are still standing strong. I also use it to encircle other plants that get very tall and clan be blown over by wind or rain including my 5 ft.tall salvia aureas and butterfly bushes. You can also use tomaoto cages for single specimen plants if you get them in place early in the spring before the plants get too large.

Penny

o

I use one of those peony rings; works wonders. I've been growing them for years, and they're always floppy. This year we've had so much rain, and wouldn't you know it, none of them are flopping! My "Carnea" are over 5' tall, and NOT flopping. One of my "Dusky Salmon" is the same, but another is much shorter. The normal orangy/reds are sturdy & upright. I'm thinking now that they like LOTS of water. I've never seen them do better...

o

I am reviving this because I would like to know will the flower do well in partial shade?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here