Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Hummers In My Area

Posted by kelledia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 21:11

Last year my family only had Ruby-Throats at the feeders,and this year we haven't seen a single one. Instead, we have at least three Black-Chinned, and now a Hummer has appeared that has us all totally perplexed. It is silver-grey all over, and seems larger, longer and 'sleeker' than any hummingbird I've seen. I work with a lady who lives 3 or 4 blocks away from me; she first saw these birds about a month ago and told me of it then. She now has at least four at her place. Any ideas as to what in the world they are? We have ruled out females of R-T's, B-C'd and Rufous. (I'm also setting up the camara stand to hopefully get a shot of these).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Hummers In My Area

Oops, sorry folks, I forgot to mention that I live in the DFW area of North Texas.

o
RE: Unknown Hummers In My Area

The largest hummingbird in Texas is the Blue-throated. The Texas A&M book, 'Hummingbirds Of Texas' says "The overall first impression of this bird is that it is long, gangly, and mostly dull colored." It is not common to your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue-throated at Texas Parks & Wildlife

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here