Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaceman13_gw

Favorite hummingbird experience(s)? Lets hear 'em!

spaceman13
10 years ago

Ok here are 2 of mine.

#1) I was sitting in a hunting stand to see when/where the deer were moving. I was looking to the right, and in my left ear I hear what sounded like the biggest buzzing bug on the planet! When I slowly turned a hummingbird was hovering a few feet in front of my face!. I was in full camo and the only skin visible was around the eye opening of my facemask. I have since read that hummers will feed on sap from woodpecker holes, and I assume that is what he thought he saw in the opening of my face mask.

He hovered in so close to my face, I had to CROSS MY EYES to try to focus on him! he buzzed me, then flew to perch on a branch at arms length, and repeated this for about 10 minutes.

#2) A house I lived in years ago had a BIG mimosa tree (I think) in the front yard. One day I caught movement in the tree and when I looked I saw a hummer zipping from bloom to bloom. I stopped what I was doing to watch, and there were 12 -15 hummers zipping around the branches, chasing each other about and feeding on the flowers on the tree. Every summer thereafter I'd watch for the tree to flower, and enjoy the show!

Comment (1)