Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbirds in Alaska?

Posted by solstice98 9b Orlando (solstice98@att.net) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 22:46

Probably a dumb question. I'll be in Alaska later this summer on a cruise, visiting Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Am I likely to see hummingbirds? I grew up in ND and we had them all summer, but not sure if they make the migration that far up the coast. If they are there, will there be Rufous? On the east coast we only get Ruby Throated so it would be fun to see something new!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbirds in Alaska?

My guess is no right now..but then again..with global warming I'd not count it out in the (unfortunate) near future.

o

This attached map seems to indicate there are hummingbirds there and a couple have already been sighted this summer. Guess I'll have to get there to find out for sure!
(I think the map comes up on Robins, but you can select for all kinds of things, including Rufous.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wave North Map

o

I usually go to Fairbanks every summer and have never seen a hummer up there.

o

The Rufous hummingbird does indeed breed in Southeastern Alaska. There breeding range encompasses the following areas: Ketchikan, Sitka, Point Couverden, and Montague Island. They start arriving in late March to mid April and Breeding commences soon afterward. They will start the migration south later this month or in early July but I think the majority will still be around until late summer so you probably have a pretty good chance of seeing some Rufous.

Penny

o

Kate, there are hummingbirds up in Alaska. The near-motorized-like sound of their wings beating brought on an especially quiet excitement. Gosh how I remember sitting so still, barely breathing; then afterward, jumping up to run tell my family members. Very much, it's a delightful memory, but just can't get my brain to recall which hummingbirds were there. Nineteen years ago I moved outside (married a wonderful man, we moved because of his job and now live in Florida, --pretty sure just south of where you are), but I was born and raised there. My family still lives there, mainly in Seward and Anchorage.

P.S. Not that you need any sort of prompting but please have photos of your trip....I'm hoping to go to the much anticipated Bopper Solstice Swap!!! :o) ...and thanks much in advanced, lol.

o

Wow, I didn't expect an answer from Florida! Thank you and Happy Birthday! See you at the Swap.

Thanks to all who answered. I won't expect to see hummers in Alaska but I will continue to hope that I do. Maybe if I get a chance to visit one of the city gardens I'll have a better opportunity. I'll let you know!

o

• Posted by sooth 9b/10a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 07 at 20:51

Thanks, Kate, and enjoy your trip! Hope to see you too. :o)

o

We have them in Whittier, Ak. The show up in early May and leave in Aug.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://whittierak.yukontel.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here