Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demisheep

When ants get smart

demisheep
14 years ago

Ok so I've had ants trying to get into my feeder for a couple of seasons now, and starting this season the ants have started swimming across the ant moat! I just can't believe this but they're doing it and now after a couple of weeks most of the ants are swimming across the moat. I watched one the other day and it definitely had a struggle getting across but it made it. Now as of yesterday I noticed there are 3 or 4 ants that didn't make it, though they didn't die in the moat, they died inside the feeder which doesn't make much sense.

Anyone have any ideas? I think the ants have evolved! (just kidding)

Comments (7)

• demisheep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I mean, does anyone have any ideas on how to stop ants? I think I'll need an ant moat that has at least a 2 inch radius. Or maybe put some kind of sticky goop to block them.

Thanks! -Demisheep

• chescobob
    14 years ago

Well, I've had success with "ant guards" that I have linked below and I just realized that I am using mine upside down. To make mine work upside down, I taped it to hold it open. Duh, it never dawned on me. Its so depressing doing everything wrong, at least once.

I had planned to buy a new one this week. Now, I will use it right side up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ant Guard

• shannynil
    14 years ago

I use a product "Tree Tanglefoot". Messy but extremely effective. Use with care.

• anita55
    14 years ago

I very carefully coat the hanger with motoroil. They don't like it. I watched an ant go up to it, smell and touch, and then turn right around and leave.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Please be careful with using synthetic products around hummer feeders! Even if it doesn't get near the actual nectar, the birds themselves can easily get some oil or goo on them during a feeding or a territorial tussle. If ant moats aren't working--which they should 99% of the time--then try using some bay leaves as a natural deterrent. Ants hate them for some reason...really!

Of course, you could always rethink how you hang the feeder...if it's dripping in the wind like many gravity feeders have a tendency to do, the ants are much more likely to get "hip" to the feeder's location. A basin-style feeder like the Hummzinger won't drip, even in a tornado. That's no exaggeration...we recently had a small tornado whip through the neighborhood, pick up the neighbor's trampoline and toss it 100 yards away, tear down entire trees, and cause general destruction...but not a drop was spilled from the three Hummzinger feeders hanging placidly in the breeze.

If the ants ever find them, I'll fill the built-in ant moats or use the insect tip guards that are included.

• anita55
    14 years ago

I am using a Hummzinger which the birds enjoy but the ants do find it. I've been using a thin coating of oil for years, not sticky and never had a problem. I also use it to coat the metal poles that my bird nestboxes are mounted on. Keeps the ants off them, too.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I use ant moats, and they work well for me. Mine are home made with coat hanger wire and a cap from a spray container and some super glue. Mine are two to three inches wide. It's too far for the ants to swim across. I use soapy water in the moat to keep the finches from drinking it dry. Also, I heard that vaseline works in ant moats to.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions