Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Close Encounters of the Bird Kind

Posted by echinaceamaniac 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 23:30

I have bee balm in the flower beds and this little hummingbird was just sitting there breathing very hard and half awake. I was taking photos of him and he let me get close enough to do some macro shots. I will post them tomorrow. Luckily, I had my camera. I called my friend over and we got him to sit in both of our hands. We held him up to a flower bloom and he stuck his beak in it several times and then flew up into a big cypress tree. It's like he just needed some rest and a quick energy drink. It was so amazing! They are cuter than I thought.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Close Encounters of the Bird Kind

Yeah they're pretty cute but don't let that fool ya. They're mean as sin most of the time.

o

Here's my photo. Isn't he adorable!

o

He is adorable. Such a sweet experience.

Elaine

o

He is a beauty. How fun to be able to hold him, and give him a helping hand!

Lorna

o

It looks like he's got a shiner! =)

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he did!...they fight so much it's just plain silly.

o

that's a great experience! I was watering the other day and hummingbird started playing in the water spray. He'd zip in and zip out, he was having a ball! But the best part, I was standing right up against a large lilac bush and as he flew away he came right towards me and landed on a branch not 6" from my face! I don't know how he didn't see me. He sat and swiped his beak on the branches and shook himself a little. I tried not to breathe, and he eventually flew away. I've never had a close encounter with a hummingbird before, what a thrill!

o

My husband and I were sitting on the patio in the back yard one evening this week. We were about 6 feet away from one of the feeders. A hummer came zooming in, and my husband jumped, because the bird was coming right at him. I thought it was funny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here