Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pauldavid63

Lots of hummingbirds at my house, etc.

PaulDavid63
12 years ago

I'm already starting to get sad because I know that before long they will be heading south. After my wife had mowed a little this evening, we had over 20 birds on the 9 feeders plus 1 designated as the "Neighbor's Feeder". The birds seemed to be still feeding from her feeder although she has not changed the nectar in 5 days. The birds appear to like my fresh nectar more than the neighbor's. We'll just see how long the birds go to her feeder.

P.S. Bambi & his twin messed around in the yard for quite a while today before deciding to take their siesta about 30 feet from my primary hummer feeder. Three of us went out on the patio to watch them from about 50 feet along with the hummers. The one on the right staired at me, but the other was behind the large stump. Had to go to our bedroom to see the other one during their nap.

Comments (7)

• PaulDavid63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Still a few birds at the neighbors house, but not nearly as many as at my house. Calendar is down stairs, but I believe the neighbor has not changed her nectar in 6 days.

• PaulDavid63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This evening will be 8 days since the neighbor has changed her feeder. It appears that one or two birds are still drinking her's. I still have lots more birds.

• PaulDavid63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW! Just hung out 352 oz. of nectar for the hummers. Hope they enjoy it. Still have a couple of birds hanging around the neighbors house and feeder. Hope they come to their senses soon and get on over to my house. This evening is 9 days since she put up fresh nectar.

• vuwugarden
    12 years ago

Hey there, Paul!

You seem to be getting lots of visitors. Do you recommend a particular feeder?

I have the glass bottle one, I don't recall the exact name, but I think it's called something like the Best Hummingbird Feeder.

Audrey

• dabosa
    12 years ago

I think they really like the ones where they can sit while they are feeding. I have about 15 or more every day.

Petra

• ctnchpr
    12 years ago

352 oz., that's 11 quarts. How many days will that feed your hummers? I'm using 3 quarts/day for my 50-60 hummers.

• PaulDavid63
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm using about 48 oz. per day and I don't have 60 birds on my feeders at this location, but I will. It's very hard to tell how many hummers you have, but I like the 6 times the max that are on the feeders except during migration (then I would have at least 120 birds). Sometimes I have 45 birds when it is raining. I had planned on being gone for 5 days, but was gone 6 and had about 72 oz. left. I knew that I might be gone longer than 6 days.

I don't recomend any brand, just prefer glass, must have perches, no yellow or at least easy to get rid of it and be very easy to clean (I am sure I have Best Feeders and some plastic ones from Walmart). I paint the yellow flowers with red airplane paint or just pop the yellow flowers off the new models at Walmart. I'm sure most of the glass feeders that I have came from Fred's dollar store. The two 72 oz. feeders came from there and have the same base as the 32 oz.; but are not glass, but thick plastic. If I had fewer birds, I would use saucer type feeders because I like those. There are several manufacturers that make a feeder almost identical to the glass feeders from Fred's.

Sponsored
More Discussions