Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Whats your hummers favorite feeder?

hummersteve
16 years ago

Assuming that you have loads and loads of hummers, what is their favorite feeder or flower? I have six feeders 3 window feeders and 3 more. The feeder that I have to fill most often is the walmart special but its only 3oz so I dont know if you can really count it, but it is a favorite. Other than that they use them all. Their favorite flower seems to be guaranitica black and blue,, your turn.

Comments (10)

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I have 2 feeders, Perky Pet Oasis and a new Hummzinger Excel. They hate the Excel and love the Oasis. It figures, I went to Lowes (where I initially purchased the PPO), and they had none. Checked 2 stores. Dang it. I wanted to get a few more, for the future.
    As for flowers, they're hitting so many so much. The white/red Rose of Sharon is a huge hit. The "Salmon & Pink" agastache is too. Penstemon barbatus "Iron Maiden" was a hit. Of course the "Jacob Cline" & "Marshall's Delight" monardas; haven't witnessed any activity on "Claire Grace" or "Blue Stocking" monardas. My Salvia "Black & Blue" aren't blooming that great yet, but are being visited. The "Pink Delight" buddleia is another favorite. Naturally, I could go on & on ;)

• porchesandyards
    16 years ago

My wife and I stumbled onto a nice hummingbird feeder at the Atlanta Gift Market this past January. We brought one of the top feeding hummingbird feeders home from our first order. IÂve been pleased with the response from the hummingbirds. Something interesting about the top feeding is that it comes with a place for the bird to stand. From there they feed into a red glass tube in the shape of a flower. IÂve noticed that they stay around longer on this particular feeder. The best part is that it doesnÂt leak like the others. You can have it near the house such as the kitchen window and not attract ants from the dripping. The color of the feeder doesnÂt seem to matter.

• susanlynne48
    16 years ago

Hi, being kind of new and not really knowing what the best feeder is to have, I picked up one of the Perky-Pet feeders with the glass jar that holds 8 oz. of food (I make my own food). It had the yellow bee-guards on it, but the hummers would try to nectar and go from flower to flower on it, acting like they weren't getting any nectar. So, I removed the bee guards. I haven't noticed any wasps or bees around the feeder at all. Should I have left them on? The hummers seem to be getting more food now that I removed the guards.

Susan

• yardenman
    16 years ago

I have decided that the best hummer feeder is the Audubon Best-1 feeder. Mine love them. And they are easy to claen and refill.

• utdeedee
    16 years ago

I have 3 feeders. 2 on shephard's hooks and one hanging on the side of a large rose of sharon bush. I have had had 4 hummers. They like the feeder in the bush the best and the flowers on it, they love my cannies and garden phlox, impatiens and believe it or not I've seen them on my giant sunflowers.....

• sidk
    16 years ago

I've tried a lot of feeders including artsy glass and pottery ones and cheapo Opus and Perkey Pet but Humzingers are about all I use anymore.

• kelp
    16 years ago

They seem to like the "HummZinger Fancy" best. (Both sizes.) I had days were they weren't feeding, until I figured out it was because the necter was getting diluted from the rain. Putting a clear dome over the feeder solved that problem.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ive never used any of bowl or flatter types, have heard some people say the hummers wont use those. Anyway since the migration is under way and the last couple of days they were uncountable, they use them all, but they have really adapted to my my perky pet 209 30ozer , I only fill it about half full and its drained in 3days or less. I have hanging on my back patio by itself about 1 ft below the guttering.

• miss_huff
    16 years ago

The cheaper it is, the more popular it is.

If I spend money on a nice, styled glass one, it the base immediately rusts, and the hummers don't give it the time of day, anyhow.

If I spend $2 on a cheap one at Lowe's, they LOVE it!

They actually prefer my lantana and blue salvia.

I only get one or two a year, though, here it Atlanta. Oh well. I'm going to the Hummingbird Festival tomorrow!!!!

• ellix
    16 years ago

I put up a new one by first nature, model 3051 that holds 16 oz.s (saw one that holds more) with a wide mouth and very easy to clean with a two piece base. It has a perch all the way around the several ports. I love it-because they do and It only costs $.3.98. I found mine at Wallmart.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions