Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaspuddyprint

Show me your unique hummie feeders

texaspuddyprint
18 years ago

I like to experiment and come up with new ideas for hummingbird feeders. These are some of my past creations.

I'd really like to see everyone's home-made feeders too.

Please post your photos and share your stories about them.

DISCLAIMER: Some photos show red nectar - I no longer use that :o)

MY HUMMIE-PORT: This holds 55 feeding stations...the first year it was a novelty to use...then it became a chore to keep each one cleaned and filled. The nectar gets much too hot this time of the year when this is standing in the middle of the yard so I have resorted to using it only during the migratory season.

INSULIN BOTTLE FEEDERS: I recycled insulin bottles and made numerous little hummie feeders. These hold about 12 ml of nectar. With the 100+ degree weather we are having right now...I have these hanging on trellises and vines where they can stay somewhat shaded and cool. I must refill them several times a day though...but it's fun to having hummies buzzing your ears and squeaking for you to hurry up!

HUMMIES WILL TRY ANYTHING: ...and garden stakes I'd used last year to coax bees away from the hummie-port as well as to get rid of that red nectar.

Please post photos and stories of your own home-made feeders too!!!

~ Cat

Comments (15)

• catwhiskas
    18 years ago

Your feeders are adorable Cat!

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

I've been admiring your feeders for some time now. Wonderful work and I love that you are recycling too. Would you mind disclosing the source for the stoppers and flowers that you use on the insulin bottles? I found a site that used recycled bottles with nothing at all in them and claimed that the birds used them. Have you tried that? Thank you for sharing your photos. They are wonderful and inspirational too.
    Regards,
    spiderwoman

• texaspuddyprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Catwhiskas and Spiderwoman.

The yellow flower stoppers are from Perky Pet and sold as replacement parts (9 for $2.99). The red stoppers were taken off of Opus Gem Series feeders (Lowe's had those discounted because a plastic bottle on one set was cracked and the others were mismatched - I got 4 feeders with a total of 16 stoppers for only $2.00!!!)

As you can tell by the garden stake in the above photo the hummies have no problem sipping nectar from a dish.

I also tried using candle cups (filled with nectar) hung from marble suncatchers as in the photo below - but because they are wide open - they are susceptible to all kinds of critters. The bees, wasps and ants had a field day with those...so I stopped using them.

{{gwi:990804}}

The hummies also sipped nectar from some red glass candle cups I have (didn't take a photo of those)...but the insects were equally attracted to them as well.

~ Cat

• catwhiskas
    18 years ago

Cat, You make eating sooooo much fun for the little hummies!

• mimidi
    18 years ago

Yes like dining at a fine resturant. My feeders are just the Plane Jane type. I don't think that I have an artistic bone in my body.

• standard65
    18 years ago

I made an ant moat once out of a red plastic aerosol can cap...LOL I'm not very clever at building stuff.
    incredible design and execution, cat, thanks for the pics.

penny used to make and sell saucer feeders, but I think she has a parts manufacturing snafu and they aren't available now. here's a pic of one:

• spiderwoman
    18 years ago

Cat--Thank you for the information on the stoppers. Do you think there is any reason that one could not fashion a stopper and flower drinking port from polymer clay? It is a completely inert material once it is cured. Thanks,
    spiderwoman

• texaspuddyprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Standard - I like that saucer type feeder. I recall seeing something very similar but it had colored beads hanging from the ends of the strings. I could never find the saucers at a reasonable price to have a go at it myself :o)

Spiderwoman,

I'd say a stopper/flower drinking port could be made out of polymer clay...but I'm not that skilled to try it :o)

Am not sure if there is shrinkage when it dries...and that would cause leakage. A Garden Junk forum member posted photographs where she covered little bottles with polymer clay...and mentioned she was going to try making the flower feeder ports too.

The plastic feeder replacement parts have a slight indentation near the base of the flower and the 'stem' has a groove cut into it - so when it is pushed into the bottle neck it expands slightly to form a perfect fit. I've included a photo - it's easier to show than explain :o)

~ Cat

• standard65
    18 years ago

didn't someone post here a while ago that the first time they saw a hummingbird was when their grandmother put out thimbles full of sugar water? I thought that was so cool.

• texaspuddyprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's another hummie feeder I made out of a small test tube. Took the hummies only four minutes to find it.

~ Cat

• catwhiskas
    18 years ago

Love that newest creation of yours Cat!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Isn't it cool? :-D You know Cat - forgot to mention that I have one of those single-flower feeder balls like those that are in your very first photo that are arranged in a tree. And it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago when one of my juvie male hummies finally figured it out! LOL

• texaspuddyprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jenny,

Yes...those are single flower garden stake hummie feeder balls. I'd made a deal with WalMart to buy their left over supply a couple of winters ago. Had the idea of the hummie-port in my mind and was waiting for the opportunity to buy lots of those cheap!

I don't use that 'hummie-port' during the summer as there are only about a dozen regular hummies here now. Also I just can't keep the ants from crawling up the wood post. In addition, the feeder holes on those plastic flowers are the perfect size for a bee to get it's big butt stuck in - so I had lots of dead bees clogging them up!

I had put it out in the yard a couple of weeks ago to try to get some photos - had filled only six flowers but it rained and the water got into the upright holes. I didn't feel like lugging it to the backporch so I just turned the flowers downward to let them completely drain.

I saw a hummie a few days ago trying to get up under the flower to check it out :o) Cute...but I wasn't fast enough with the camera.

Maybe I'll set it up again and try to photos during the fall migration.

~ Cat

• hummingbird_stalker
    18 years ago

Hi Cat,
    I really like your feeders. I too have a test tube feeder. Unlike your feeder, the hummers are not visiting mine. But, I really enjoy all the pics others have posted.

• clerk95
    15 years ago

What about the small coffee stir sticks. They do have very small holes. Some even have 2 with a divider between each tube. Would those be too large? One stick can be cut into about 4 pieces. I may try one. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County
More Discussions