Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_a_gw

Pregnant female?

rob_a
14 years ago

I have noticed some females at the feeders have 'tummys' I assumed they were pregnant. I read somewhere that the eggs are the size of green peas, and usually she has two. Look a the second bird in the video. Is she carrying eggs?

Rob

Let me know it the link doesnt work.

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/rob_analog/?action=view&current=000_0451.flv

Comments (10)

• scaldude
    14 years ago

The link didn't work, but next time, paste it in the "Optional Link URL:" box for best results.

The eggs are a little bigger...like jelly beans. Both times, there were 2. We haven't had a nest here in a few years...someone removed it. Never do that, momma's likely to reuse it if it's still in good shape. I'm sure she's close by, though.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

The link worked for me (I reposted it below just in case).

Looks like a mommy-to-be to me, Rob! Congrats, you're now a "sugar daddy." =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rob's Video

• anita55
    14 years ago

Wait a minute here, I'm confused. The eggs are released and fertilized one at a time, and it takes one whole day from the release of the egg to the laying of the egg for each egg that is laid. Why would a bird look pregnant? I never heard of this. Please explain.

• scaldude
    14 years ago

Now it worked, thanks.

Don't know if she's a prego, but nice video. Good job.

ps: If you put dryer lint out, one might use it for their nest???

• rob_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys.

Anita, I'm just assuming that as tiny as a female hummer is, that just before she lays her eggs, she will show a little extra in her tummy. Especially, if the eggs are the size of jelly beans as Scaldude tell us.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Anita, unless I've read misinformation, a ruby throat female will carry her eggs long enough to build a nest. Sometimes they reuse nests, so that would essentially be fertilization and release at the same time since they don't have to build a new nest. But if they don't have one ready after fertilization, they will carry the eggs for a short time until it's safe to lay them in the newly constructed nest. That's what I assume Rob's visitor is doing: refueling in between nest building.

Male hummingbirds are real jerk fathers, aren't they?....at least they could help mamma build a nest! =)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Hey Rob

To make it easy for everyone to follow a link go the preview part of your message and you will see a place for your link , just copy and paste it in there along with the name of your link. Im also going to post a message on the mating ritual as "Anita " got me wondering. I suppose I viewed yesterday what many never see. The mating.

• rob_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve. I'll try that next time.

• anita55
    14 years ago

HI Steve, why am I "Anita"? Do you think i'm not real?

• anita55
    14 years ago

I have been watching birds nesting for years, as have many of you, I'm sure. They build the nest, they mate, the sperm is held in a special place inside the female until one egg is released and the egg is fertilized, It continues developing for one day, passing through various stages until the shell is formed and the egg is laid. This process happens for each egg, one at a time, one a day. Of course I'm more familiar with other birds, not hummingbirds, but I don't think I've noticed that the bird looks pregnant during this process. Unless anyone knows differently I think this happens for all birds in the same way.

Sponsored
More Discussions