Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindip_gw

2014- Most visited flower

cindip
9 years ago

Hi y'all,
What is the flower or plant that the hummingbirds have visited the most this year? Last year it was lantana at my house. This year it is Black & Blue salvia, a purple pentsemon (I think it is pikes purple) and a coral bean flower.

Comments (16)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Tough to say; individual hummers have their favorites, so the most-visited fluctuates with which hummers are hanging around. Right now. the most visited is probably a toss-up between Tecoma 'Orange Jubilee', various Russelia and Salvia 'Amistad'.

Oddly enough, one bush they fought over last year, leonotis, has received few visitors this year. I pruned it way back, but it has been flowering again for a while now without much interest. Kangaroo paws were popular in the spring, but they are finished with their bloom period now.

I pretended the flowers on hummingbird feeders didn't count in this survey... ;)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

The old standards are proving their worth yet again.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue'
    Russelia equisetiformis
    Cuphea 'David Verity'
    Various honeysuckles - Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler', Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina', Lonicera x heckrottii 'Gold Flame', etc.

For fun I have some potted plants on the back deck railing so we can watch them from the kitchen window and back door window. I've got a Goldfish Plant, red lantana, cape fuchsia, Bouvardia ternifolia and my Baja Fairy Duster (Calliandra californica) is finally starting to bloom!

I still haven't gotten any hummers to come to the feeder but that's okay since the Downy Woodpeckers adore it. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:07

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

They're loving the monarda (bee balm) and the hosta flowers.

Also, scarlet runner beans. I grew some on a trellis in the veggie garden, and the hummers love those, too!

This post was edited by sandyslopes on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 4:21

• ladyrose65
    9 years ago

I have one returner that loves the 'jacob cline' monarda.

• bouquet_kansas
    9 years ago

The hummers go-to flowers in my garden this season
    are Black and Blue Salvia and zinnias.

• Vicki Lunceford
    9 years ago

There is a pair in our yard who enjoy the baskets of pink portulaca hanging on our deck.

• peachymomo
    9 years ago

In my garden the nasturtiums are the most visited, but they are also the most numerous.

I've also been buzzed several times while picking pole beans, I never thought of veggies as hummingbird plants but I often see them visiting the beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and whenever I let brassicas go to flower (broccoli, kale, etc.) the hummers love it.

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

Once again it is the Raspberry Wine monarda, hands down!

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Gorgeous photo, Shilla. A perfect shot of the little guy, complete with wings! He looks pretty well-fed :)

The Raspberry Wine is beautiful, much prettier than Jacob Cline, I think.

• cindip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gyr_Falcon, I recently bought a salvia amistad and cannot wait for it to bloom. I hope it does before the hummingbirds leave. :)

• dave_k_gw
    9 years ago

While in bloom, it was Silene regia. Then Lobelia cardinalis and Standing Cypress var. Burpee's Hummingbird Mix. Now also Cuphea x David Verity.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

For me, it's been Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'-- but I have three of them, and it's a big area near the feeders. Second to that has been Agastache 'Ava'.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

For me, it's been Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'-- but I have three of them, and it's a big area near the feeders. Second to that has been Agastache 'Ava'.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

For me, it's been Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'-- seeing constant acitivty now. But I have three of them, and it's a big area near the feeders. Second to that has been Agastache 'Ava'.

The red Bouvardia ternifolia is also getting lots of visits now.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Planted a couple of new 'Ava's this year in back, maybe 30 feet from the windows. Ava blooms the first year. Was astonished this morning to see a hummer feeding at the new plants for several minutes.

Didn't know I could actually see them that far away; also have monarda and Salvia guarantica and never saw a hummer on them.

Ava blooms so long, and such a bright color. Will plant more next year.

• TomInMichigan
    9 years ago

For me it has been Cardinal Flower,Rose of Sharon and Phlox. I added 3 new Honeysuckles vines this year but they have not flowered yet so next year we shall see if they take to them.

Sponsored
More Discussions