Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First gorget feathers

Posted by ctnchpr (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 9:48

I think he's from the first batch of babies.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First gorget feathers

Beautiful pic! You have a serious advantage with that feeder. Keep them coming; thanks!

o

Excellent Picture!! When I first hung my feeders last year after discovering that we had them (ignorance is bliss sometimes...lol). I had a baby male that dominated the one outside of the kitchen window. He had one spot like that one at the base of his neck and I thought (ignorantly again) that it was a female, so I named her "Spot." Well, after the looooong winter without my tiny feathered friends, I researched all I could about them and realized it was an immature male. I now have 6 feeders in my yard, one in front of all my windows. I am HOOKED. I started watching the migration map on Hummingbirds.net in February and looking out my window daily. They finally arrived in early April. Don't have the activity that I did in late september when there were 8 fighting over one feeder and I could stand on the porch and they would move my hair and even land on my arms. It was too cool. But I know they will be back in droved in september on their way back south.
Shame I don't have a decent camera that I could catch such a spectacular photo as yours. But there will always be the memory of them....

o

Excellent capture, I would have to agree that it comes from the first nestlings. Keep up the good work.

o

Awesome! You folks are making me want to go get more feeders and put them by the windows!

o

Thanks, y'all!!

hummersteve, there's been a moderate increase in activity this past week, so I'm thinking the 2nd batch of babies has arrived.

o

Good pic! :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here