Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New record for distance traveled

Posted by mboston 9a(fl)Lakleland (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 10:05

I just got an email forwarded from one of the banders who came to my yard this past winter. Another bander in Tallahassee, FL had caught a female Rufous this past Jan. It was caught again on June 28 in Chenega (sp?) Bay, Alaska some 4000 miles from its wintering home. This is a new record for distance traveled from wintering site to breeding site. It was found that the bird was born a year old, according to the striations in the beak.

How cool is that! Gives me hope that my female Rufous may be caught up in the Northwest somewhere. Mine was also an immature female Rufous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New record for distance traveled

mboston

Wow! great info and surprising to say the least. Seems quite roundabout though from florida to alaska. Just think of all the people that got a chance to view this creature on its way if only for a moment or a day or two.

o
RE: New record for distance traveled

• Posted by mboston 9a(fl)Lakleland (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 17:04

They are thinking it did not go to Mexico at all but headed east on the way down. Stayed the winter then headed back home. Would love to know if it flew west acoss AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, then to CA and up or if it took a more northwestly route. If only they could talk to us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here