Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First hummer I've seen all spring/summer

Posted by danakc z6 SW ID (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 10:39

I have tried for the 7 years we have lived here to attract hummingbirds-feeders, flowers,etc. I would occasionally see one maybe in May but nothing after that. I haven't seen any this year. I figured it is just way to hot here.

Yesterday while sitting on my deck I looked over at my huge butterfly bush and what do you know, there was a hummer at it. I watched it feed then it flew to our aspen tree and sat for quite a while.

I was so excited, my family just rolled their eyes at me. Before we moved here, we lived in the mountains and I would have to fill 3 feeders every day, because we had so many birds. I really miss them.

Dana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First hummer I've seen all spring/summer

Dana, I'm excited for you! I lived in an old farmhouse in the middle of cornfields and you can bet I had a hard time attracting hummers to my yard, but I kept planting bird-attractive plants (flowers, shrubs, and trees) and provided water sources and low and behold, after 8 years, I finally got my first hummer! They were regular visitors for the remaining 10 years I lived there. Enjoy, and I'll do a happy dance for you! :)

o
RE: First hummer I've seen all spring/summer

Dana---I know how you feel once youve had a lot of hummers and then hardly any , its difficult. Its sorta like losing a long time friend. But heres hoping you keep the one you have and he tells his buddies, good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here