Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_house

Species?

hosta_house
15 years ago

Last fall I seen my first Hummer (a female) in the ten years that I have lived here, she came around for several weeks feeding on the Hosta blooms so this spring I purchased some feeders and put them up about mid May, cleaning and refilling them every 3 days until about mid June with no hits that I knew of so I took them down as I had to have surgery, I put them back up a couple of weeks ago and for the first week I had a small female feeding right away, she looks like the one I seen last year (drab grayish color with a white band around her throat), the second week I seen both the female and the male and the female had to wait until the male was finished feeding now he wont let her feed at all (he has a green back,looks like a black head with a small strip of red on the sides and a white throat) I went to Hummingbird.net to try and identify the species however I couldn't find an exact match, not that it matters as I'm happy to have any species, but can anyone take a guess? Now that he's become territorial I may be able to snap a picture to post later.

Thanks, Rick

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert
More Discussions