Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Species?

Posted by hosta_house IL 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 11:08

Last fall I seen my first Hummer (a female) in the ten years that I have lived here, she came around for several weeks feeding on the Hosta blooms so this spring I purchased some feeders and put them up about mid May, cleaning and refilling them every 3 days until about mid June with no hits that I knew of so I took them down as I had to have surgery, I put them back up a couple of weeks ago and for the first week I had a small female feeding right away, she looks like the one I seen last year (drab grayish color with a white band around her throat), the second week I seen both the female and the male and the female had to wait until the male was finished feeding now he wont let her feed at all (he has a green back,looks like a black head with a small strip of red on the sides and a white throat) I went to Hummingbird.net to try and identify the species however I couldn't find an exact match, not that it matters as I'm happy to have any species, but can anyone take a guess? Now that he's become territorial I may be able to snap a picture to post later.
Thanks, Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Species?

In Illinois, you likely have ruby-throated hummingbirds, although your description doesn't exactly tally with them. But they're by far the most common hummingbird in the east. Females have greyish white throats with iridescent green backs and tail feather, and males are similar except with the namesake ruby throat band that can also appear black or orange depending upon how the light hits it. There are variations from bird to bird, and eventually you can even identify your regulars by nuances of color markings or even head shape. Check out the links below to see if these hummers look like yours.

Male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
Female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird

o

Well, now that I snapped a few pics I see that the color changes in differennt light and at different distances.
So I guess this must be a Ruby Red Throat?

Hummingbird 2008

Hummingbird 2008

Hummingbird 2008

o

We posted at the exact same minute!...yes, you have ruby throats. Even though we're not as lucky in our species diversity as those in the west, ruby throats are wonderful birds and we have them in profusion here. Keep those feeders fresh and enjoy the show!

By the way, great first pics.

o

Took some better shots today, however he gave me some dirty looks, made some strange gestures and I haven't seen him the rest of the day.

Hummingbird 2008

Hummingbird 2008

Hummingbird 2008

o

Ha ha! Great stuff! Definitely dirty looks.

o

Lots of hummer attitude! :0) Great pics, thanks for posting them!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here