Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birding_nut

Hummers finally.....but

birding_nut
16 years ago

Well, hummers are finally returning to my garden this summer. Where I live, I only get them briefly during spring migration as they move to higher eleveations to nest. I live in a valley on the east sides of the Cascades in Washington. We only get Black-chinneds breeding this low, but not in my area (newer development). Anyway, I get most of my visits by hummers in mid-late summer as they start their fall migration. So, that is what the "but" means in my subject line, I get hummingbirds now, but it signals their return south! Ugh. Oh well.

Yesterday I saw a male Rufous and a female Black-chinned Hummingbird. Today, I just had a female Rufous Hummingbird visiting. All were only visiting my Penstemon barbatus (huge patch) and Crocosmia 'Lucifer'. They ignored the Red-hot Poker and Mondarda (bee balm) blooming in the same garden. Penstemon barbatus is hands down the favorite of all hummers that visit my garden. Later in the summer when P. barbatus starts to fade out, Agastache becomes the new favorite. Hopefully soon, I will get my favorite little Calliopes to visit as they return south too. Sad to know they are leaving already, but also glad that I get to see them in my garden.

BN

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions