Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soaking feeder in boiled water/vinegar

Posted by donnas Z7 VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 11:42

How long do I need to let the feeder soak in this solution? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soaking feeder in boiled water/vinegar

I'll NEVER do that again. I ruined one of my dollar store feeders. I guess I should have waited until the vinegar/water cooled before soaking in this solution LOL. I mean the thing was plastic. Adding boiling water to plastic is definitely gonna melt it. Sometimes I wonder if I can get any dumber ROFLMAO.

o

Donna---I dont boil water for my feeders , I use hot water and sometimes some white vinegar, but mainly just hot water and bottle brushes.

o

hummersteve, this feeder was one that the hummers would have nothing to do with. They would fly up to it, appear to be examining it, and then fly off. Someone suggested that I boil water/vinegar and soak the feeder in it. Dumb me didn't think that boiling water+plastic feeder=a melted/cracked feeder.

I normally use warm water and a little dishwashing detergent to clean mine, making sure I rinse them out real well. I really didn't care for the vinegar because I cannot stand the smell of the stuff. I'd rather put up with the smell of a skunk on a hot summer night than the smell of vinegar. When I was younger and living at home, I stayed out of the kitchen and away from the dinner table many times to avoid that terrible smell. My mom loved greens, and she would drizzle a little bit onto them..YUCK!

o

Sounds like a real cheap feeder. The good ones don't melt in hot water and some you can even put in the dish washer. Oh well, it probably wouldn't have lasted too long anyway. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here