Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenitymeadow

What is Hanging from My Hummingbird?

serenitymeadow
16 years ago

About a week or so ago I noticed something white hanging from the left side down by the feet of a hummingbird. I assumed it was a feather or spider web. A few minutes ago I saw this hummingbird from about 3 feet away and it looks as though whatever is hanging from her has grown, almost looks like a cocoon or something. I am very, very worried that it's just a matter of time before this thing becomes heavier making it difficult for her to fly. What could it be and how can I help her?

Comments (25)

• jmcompton59_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I am seeing the same thing on several hummingbirds at the feeders... I have tried to research this, but have come up with nothing...

• pmfurgal_msn_com
    12 years ago

I was searching for info about the same thing and had no luck either. Last couple of days I have seen something dangling down by the feet as well - I have no idea what it is!

• mtdarrah
    8 years ago

Did anyone find out what is hanging from the humming birds

• ing01er
    8 years ago

A hummingbird comes to our feeder and too has something hanging from it. It looks like its attached to its foot, and I don't see the other foot. I am worried for this bird...

• Terri Ramsey Beavers
    8 years ago

I've been researching this as well as a hummingbird that's been coming to one of my feeders has something dangling down as well. It kind of looks like an umbilical cord. It's very odd and I've been worrying over the poor little thing as it looks heavy.

• Gary White
    8 years ago

I have seen this very thing hanging from one of my Hummers for the last few days~

• ing01er
    8 years ago

i believe it is a parasite and will kill the bird in a day or so. you need to catch it immediately and take to vet. conservationist will not help. you must take your feeders down and clean, disenfect, and sanitize them. make fresh nectar, . this bird nesds to be loed at and science needs to know what is happening to these bitds. you have very little time to get this bird.

• jeanette4793
    8 years ago

Is that for real? That is frightening since I too just noticed the same thing hanging from one of my birds. How would you capture a hummingbird without harming it?

• Gary White
    8 years ago

People do catch them to tag and take information with size, weight, sex and health. I would probably do more harm to myself and the bird if i tried to catch it. I posted the picture on a hummingbird site and they just said it was nesting ????

• ing01er
    8 years ago

yesterday, we had another hummingbird at our feeder wifh a very small thing attached.. I noticed this bird has it attached to its legt side, hummingbird is prob female, because of color, lack of. Ihave not seen her today, When i catch her i will photo and post. youtube has videos of ways to catch, cage or net. the first hummingbird we saw w this, was female and had thing on right side leg area.

• jeanette4793
    8 years ago

I'm thinking it was nesting. I've had both come back for the fresh nectar & they are just fine. Nothing is dangling from their tiny little legs anymore. Thanks for all the insight!

• Gary White
    8 years ago

Thank You Jeanette

• chasley
    7 years ago

I've noticed this exact thing on a hummingbird at my feeder. It is a pale, dirty pinkish colour and is protruding from the lower abdomin. At the moment it appears to look as if it's shriveling in preparation to falling off. The bird does not appear to be compromised by it. I will keep watch.

• grdenmum
    7 years ago

Just called Cornell Lab of Ornithology. This is NOT a parasite. It may

well be connected with nest building. It will probably come off on its

own in a day or so, depending on how the bird lands.

• peterblood3213
    6 years ago

This poor bird has toted around this big cocoon for at least 5 days. It does not seem to bother her (she chased off a
    male easily) but I understand she has plans to fly to Mexico and I'm afraid
    the extra baggage may overload the flight.

• misss
    6 years ago

This most likely is nesting material that has stuck to the leg of the bird. It should come off on it's own. Sometimes this material does wrap itself around the band of a banded bird which makes it very difficult for the birds to remove.

Catching the bird to remove the mass will cause the bird more harm than good. Many a bird has died in a bander's hand just from pure fright.

• HU-635875712
    3 years ago

I have had two with similar growths. It is not nesting material but changes in size from day to day. One return to my feeders for 3 years. What is it.

• BETH CROSBIE
    3 years ago

I just just noticed this today with one of my hummingbird's dangling off her left foot, I've never seen it before.

• HU-635875712
    3 years ago

I have a new female hummer this year with the small dangling growth. Possibly a decedent of my hummer that must have died after 3 years. The new girl also does a ballerina twirl before she perches. I have not found any info about this condition.

• dklingender
    3 years ago

I’ve also been seeing a female with a comparatively large object hanging from her lower abdomen. As someone else noted, the object is shaped like a cocoon and is a dirty pinkish color. Now, the mass seems to have become smaller and there’s also a long, thin “tail” coming from the bottom of the “cocoon.” I took a slo-mo video, and hope it will upload.

• HU-635875712
    3 years ago

The two hanging deformities I have seen on the birds change size and shape daily. It does not seem to affect flying etc. However, both birds were very protective of the feeder and would chase others away.

• Bronwyn Morgan
    last year

We have a female with this same situation, a cocoon-like tassel dangling. It’s been at least 4 days now. Still not sure what it is but all these comparisons make it seem not too unusual? Our extension office is closed today.

• leslieskyhawk
    last year

I’ve been seeing a hummingbird at our feeder for the last 2-3 weeks with something hanging from her foot or abdomen. It was originally slender, long and light yellowish and is becoming wider and heavier looking. Does anyone know what it is?

• HU-294608562
    8 months ago

Hummingbirds use spider silk to make their nests as well as moss, lichen, plant down, and feathers. what you are seeing could just be nesting material stuck to the silk. Trying to trap them could hurt them more.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions