Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Check my arithmetic

mehitabel
9 years ago

If you had two hummers who came to your feeders five times per hour to feed for 1 minute each, they would be on the feeders 1 minute x 5 times x 2 birds for 10 minutes per hour

If you went to the room where you can see them once per hour during the day you would have 10 minutes/60minutes chance to see them (1/6)

In 9 hours, you would see them 9 x 1/6 or 1.5 times/day

If you worked during the day, in 4 hours you would see them 4 x 1/6 or twice in three days.

If you had only one hummer, you would see it twice in three days, on average over 9 hour days

If you had only one hummer and it stayed for only 30 seconds, you would tend to see it only once every 3 days over 9 hour days

If you had 10 hummers, you would have a 1 x 5 x 10 chance of seeing one, or 50 chances /60 minutes or 83% chance of seeing one each hour.

I believe this is why hummers are seen only spottily in May and June. In August, when we see them constantly it's because there are lots of them out there.

During May and June, I saw one or two probably once every three days. For the last few days I've been seeing them a couple of times a day.

Comments (2)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I live in southern California, so we can see hummingbirds any day of the year. Sometimes hummer interest on this forum seems to start and stop with the ruby-throated, or the occasional vagrant from the west, so I don't bother posting much. You seem to be a keen observer of hummingbird behavior, as am I. Sometimes I study the individual residents and chart out their various territories in my garden. Many have their favorite flower species and personality quirks. Most are Allen's or Anna's here, but rufous often pass through during migration. Several other migrants are also possible.

While the species are different, some of the behaviors may be shared. I know that when certain favorite flowers in nearby locations are in bloom, fewer resident hummers may appear in my garden during that time. Another reason for fewer visits to feeders in May and June in your area may also be the availability of other food sources. Then in August, when the nearby nectar sources are drying up in the summer heat, they may frequent feeders in greater numbers.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for this information, gyr-falcon. I hadn't really thought about it that way, but you're right, August does turn dry and flowers are much scarcer. In fact, most years August is just plain tired and ugly.

I've been thinking only in terms of numbers of hungry mouths, but availability of food is another variable, and just as important if not more so.

Thanks again, I see just a little clearer now.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions