Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bee balm (monarda) in pots

Posted by lanternboy Z8 WA (digger26rowdies@aol.com) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 13:50

Howdy,
I have about 12 Bee balm plants in pots that I grow for the hummers and I was wondering if there is a way to get them not to be so leggy? They grow tall with only a few leaves and a flower on top. Should I pinch them when they're young like I do to my mums or should I just plant them out in the garden? Are they really not a pot plant? They are atleast two years old. There is probably not much I can do now but I was thinking about next year. I saw the hummers on them last evening. They make the're rounds thru the garden but they still stop for a sip @ the hanging feeders I have. I better fill them with some new food since they still stop by.
Gotta go...Let me know if you have any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bee balm (monarda) in pots

Lanternboy

I dont know much about bee balm, but I pinched the terminals on my lady in red plants till about june and they got really huge. I just dont know what Im looking in bee balm but I will try and find some next year. I had some poor luck with agastache shades of red , killed them all.

o

i planted about 30+ bee balms last year(just 3 different varieties), they were all very leggy their first year and flopped over very easily

not leggy this year, they filled in faster than i thought

keep them moist and they will fill in very well. the areas that dont get enough water, have a lack of lower leaves

i would plant them out in the garden

o

Mine are in pots are are doing splendid..but yes I agree..very leggy. Although I am noticing as the summer wanes on there seem to be more sprouts at the base and the "legs" not have "arms" for lack of a better term. Mine will stay in pots until I have the HB garden set up and then I will transfer them..although they have some weird white fuzz on the leaves..not all of them just some..could that be mold?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here