Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

The Mating Ritual

hummersteve
14 years ago

This hummingbird mating process has seemed to be a mystery to many of us who have just heard of it but never seen. Im leaving a link of an excellent article explaining the process very clearly so there is no doubt. Evidently the male had already done his dance and wooing of said female. According to the article I must be in the class of the lucky few who have actually witnessed this " I viewed the female land in a black and blue plant [ this in itself is a bit odd, but evidently on purpose] then as I watched the male come in rather slowly and land on top of her, could have been no more than a couple of seconds and she was gone. This article explains the process in detail. What I witnessed was from my pc chair window and the plant not more than 5ft from the window, so I was meant to see this.

Here is a link that might be useful: mating ritual

Comments (8)

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Hummersteve, very interesting article so thanks for the link. Also, the info regarding north and south migration was very enlightening...amazing stuff about these little jewels...which leads me to another observation.

There's been much discussion about the sugar/water ratio and what's actually best. Pros and Cons both regarding 4/1 and 3/1. In reading about south migration, the article said they must double their weight, and 3/1 was recommended for several reasons, one being that in late summer, their natural nectar sources have diminished considerably. In all the years I've had feeders and an abundance of hummers, I've used the 4/1...HOWEVER, maybe I need to increase to a 3/1. Maybe the hummers don't know the difference, but if 3/1 is best, then I'll change it immediately!

And yes, you were so lucky to have witnessed the mating ritual...in the right place at the right time!!! If you had blinked just once, you'd have missed it!

Donna

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna

Thanks for your comments. As far as the feeding nectar ratio for years now I have especially had the 1:3 mix for them during their arrival in april/may and then again just before they are due to leave and then in between[now] I usually go 1:4 some. During august especially early on the males will be feeding heavily fattening up for the migration. So if you see males starting to put it on, for sure increase the dose then. I also have always wondered if the same hummers go back to the exact locations as the previous summer and the article indicates they do which for some people would explain the increase of hummers each year as I have enjoyed.

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Since I'll be changing out a few feeders late this afternoon, I will pay close attention to the males as you suggested. Should I go ahead with the increase now, or wait until more show up? I'm convinced my population is down from this time last year and why, I have no idea! Perhaps migration began a little late or maybe weather comes into play, but for whatever reason, it's disappointing for now. I think I have about 8...gosh, am I getting a little greedy???!!!

Donna

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack the subject of your post!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna

My guess is its a little early to increase the dose. I havent even increased mine yet and most likely I will notice the upswing before you do. But according to where you are you will know when the rush is on, just as the article relates the big V where they will all be funneling into your general area heading south. Within the next couple of weeks we may all start to notice an upswing from what we have now. Hey, lets not push this summer along too fast , lets enjoy what we have now.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Steve, thanks for the link. There are some really interesting articles there. I saved it to favorites to go back later and read more.

I have been reluctant to vary from the SAFE 1/4 sugar to water ratio. Feeling that feeders are to attract hummers for our enjoyment, not to interfere into their normal diet. Now I'm reconsidering a 1/3 ratio when I'm sure the migration is coming through south Texas.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Wow, Steve, lucky you! I can foresee the future...you with a video camera stuck to the window, ready to capture the first hummingbird mating on video... =)

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Hey Steve...took your advice, grabbed my coffee and spent a lovely morning with the hummers. We've had some unseasonably cooler morning and evening temps which is such a welcome relief! I was greeted early with a brilliant blue sky, birds chirping, hummers buzzing and that pot of fresh coffee! Well, it just doesn't get any better than that!

Donna

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey buckman--- nice thought but that will never happen

Donna--- You got that right, nothing better

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz
More Discussions