Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird feeders???????

Posted by cheri01 wv z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 14:07

HOW FAR AWAY FROM MY HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS SHOULD I HANG MY BIRD FEEDERS??????? PLEASE HELP/?????????????

CHERI
WV Z6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird feeders???????

Cheri---Everone has a different setup in their yard because of size and shape. I have a small front yard which is where my hummer feeders are and I have my wild bird feeder hanging on back of mailbox post about 30ft from closest hummer feeder.

o

My seed feeder is about 75' from my hummer feeder, but I've stopped feeding the birds during the summer. There's just too many sparrows & starlings. Occasionally I'll fill it with safflower seed, which gets activity from mostly house finches and cardinals. It did recently start attracting blue jays, which were never common in my yard, but their racket seems to irritate the hummer. I witnessed that tonight. I have a suet feeder about 45' from the hummer feeder, which actually peaks the hummers interest when the starlings start making enough noise to raise the dead. I've witnessed her going over to the suet feeder to see what's happening. She flutters around for a bit, then goes back to her nectaring. I have a thistle feeder about 30' from that hummer feeder and 20' from another, which nobody seems to be using this year. It's never caused any problems in the past. I believe someone in this forum has a bunch of shepherds hooks with hummer feeder(s) and seed feeders grouped together, so hopefully that person will chime in ;) But personally, I'd keep them far enough away; I'd hate to piss off the hummers!

o

Our suet feeders are about 6' from the hummer feeder -- they get primarily woodpeckers, nuthatches, red-winged blackbirds, and lately a family of grackles :P :) Our seed feeder is about 10' away in another direction. We haven't had any trouble with the other birds bothering the hummers but I supposed that could change :)

o

My hummingbird feeders are about 6 feet from my seed feeder and for the most part the hummers weren't bothered. I have a brown headed cow bird and his girl friend that have decided to just hang out up there, sometimes even hanging onto the hummingbird feeder, but the hummers didn't mind too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here