Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
missouri people

Posted by ninapearl 2aIL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 14:09

i have a friend near st. louis who tells me that the hummies are very scarce this year. while they normally have quite a few, they have only seen 2 or 3. does anybody know if there's an explanation for this? they live far from anywhere that flooded this spring.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: missouri people

Hi! I'm here in KC and have also noticed a lot less hummers this year. Not sure why though. I was recently checking out a butterfly forum and many of the members were worried about the lack of butterfly populations this year also. Wonder if the two are related? Seems like things have been cooler and rainier this year, maybe that's a factor.

o

hi almost-neighbor. :) i, too, have noticed a HUGE decline in butterflies this year! every year, i fill a clay saucer with sand and keep it damp, it sits on the deck railing and usually it's COVERED in butterflies. this year, hardly a single one.

how strange! same here though, cooler and much rainier than normal so perhaps that has something to do with it.

o

We have fewer butterflies this year, also. But, we do have one very territorial honey bee, which we haven't had in the other two years we've lived here. And, there is one hummingbird, the first time there has been one in three years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here