Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Got Hummers?

hummersteve
15 years ago

Do you live in the city or rural,,, Do you wish you had hummers in your backyard,,,, Just order my new book,,,,,,,

Just kidding of course couldnt resist. Not meant to offend in any shape or form.

{{gwi:993293}}

Comments (6)

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Steve, you'll have to stop the bragging!...I can't get more than one hummer at a feeder at a time. You must be on a migration route?...or do you have another story for success in the Midwest?

I live in a urban area with a good amount of woods in the back of yards...I have about a half acre woodland that borders another acre or so. Plenty of nesting area for my resident hummers. I keep increasing my plantings for more hummer attraction, and convince the neighbors to hang feeders too. I figure it's a win-win scenario!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buckmaster--- Its kinda hard to figure, I dont live on a migration route, wish I did. On the other side of my house across the street is farmland with some woods at each end so there is habitat around me. What you see is what I am. I try to plant a lot of hummer plants and have several feeders up front and back, but long story short , I cant explain why I have them. It makes everyone jealous on my other forum too. It does prove though that you dont have to live on wooded habitat to have hummers, but if I could I would rather have the wooded.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Nice hummersteve :) You are extremely lucky or you must have some kind of little secret......

How do you get them to share??

I had tons of migrators last fall (my first year noticing them). This year I am starting to plant. I see a few around here now, but not a lot.

Do you have any pictures of your hummer garden? Would love to see.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I get a lot of hummers in my yard, too (ruby throats). Earlier this year they were more scarce than in previous summers. It's only in the last couple of weeks that I'm seeing a lot.

They NEVER share a feeder or flowers within view of one another. If one is within view of another a fierce battle ensues. Occasionally 3 or 4 will be in chase, and the noise they make is incredible coming from such little birds. They are selfish, territorial buggers.

Karen

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For the most part my hummers dont share either, it seems to be in the evening when more hummers come in to feed , that is when the numbers get high and so they really have no choice but to share, a case in note, check out my post "feeding frenzy".

Lovefornature--- I will try and put some photos up in another post since you have asked for it.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Last fall, my hummers did not like to share either. During early migration I had a female that guarded all three feeders from a power line. But as migration progressed she had no choice. I remember going out some evenings just before getting really dark and felt like I was in the middle of a bat cave!! It was heaven :)

Thanks Hummersteve :)

Looking forward to seeing your garden(s)!!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21
More Discussions