Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?

Posted by Taupe79 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 05 at 15:12

What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden? What works well for you?

Please list a couple of your favorites, as well as what zone you garden in (unless it's next to your name, of course)! Thanks. :)

Happy Holiday Weekend!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garde

My red Bee Balm seems to attract them the best. Next to that the Lady in Red Salvia. I am in zone 7 - in Middletown, Pennsylvania.

o

Monarda didyma 'Jacob Kline', Campsis radicans, Lobelia cardinalis and Impatiens capensis

o

They visit lots of the flowers, but the ones I see the most are right outside my kitchen window, monarda Marshall's Delight. I don't have many red flowers but that doesn't seem to stop them. GD

o

Agastache cana, barberi, "Tutti Frutti", aurantica, "Peaches n Cream", "Apricot Sprite", rupestris, and actually neomexicana "Lavender Haze"( they are very attracted, but very little nectar for them when they visit the neomexicana), Salvia- clevelandii, uglinosa, various forms of greggi, transylvanica, patens cultivars, coccinea, elegans "Scarlet Tangerine".

o

Giant Cigar Plant (Cuphea melvillea)
Trumpet Honeysuckle
Fire Bush (Hamelia patens)
red Pentas
Coral Porterweed
Salvia Guarantica
Black and Blue
Ugly Shrimp plant
Powder Puff

Apopka,
Central Florida
Lee

o

Dropmore honeysuckle and Delphiniums,are the ones they seem to visit the most.

o

Seems whatever genus produces those bright red plastic flowers on my feeder is #1 at the moment. LOL

But other than that, I would say:

1.) Lonicera x heckrotti (Goldflame or 'Lemonade' honeysuckle)
2.) Jacob Cline Monarda
3.) 'Red Prince' Weigela
3.) Scarlet Runner Beans

I have Salvia guarantica 'Black and Blue', Fuchsia magellanica 'Aurea', Heuchera x brizoides 'Firefly', Agastache 'Tutti Fruiti', a Stephanotis, and Jacob's Ladder 'Brise D'anjou' blooming at the moment but she hasn't checked these out yet from what I have observed so far, although I might have missed her trying them. My goldflame honeysuckle is budding up to bloom again so hopefully she'll go to it again. Also have a Bleeding Heart, "Wine and Roses" weigela, and an 'Edward LaPlante' tropical hibiscus, but haven't observed her trying these... As it is, the tropical hib hasn't gone into its full bloom cycle yet... Have some 'The President' cannas that are slowly growing and a pineapple sage that hasn't bloomed yet but is quickly growing, so it will be interesting to see what she does with those when the time comes.

o

I am too new at this to have any opinion but I sure am appreciating this list of good plants!

o

#1 jacob cline beebalm (monarda)
after that, in no order, gartenmeister fuschia, pineapple sage, lady in red and black and blue.

o

Here in zone 6 they like beebalm monarda "jacob cline" coral honeysuckle lonicera sempervirens "alabama crimson" "cedar lane" crossvine, bigonia capriolata, salvia greggii all varieties two penstemons pinafolius and barbutus, swamp and smooth azaleas. canada lily and iris fulva. and red buckeye and cardinal flower. Sarah

o

Gartenmeister, Jacob Cline, and Black and Blue.

o

Cape Honeysuckle, aganpanthus, lantana, and citrus

o

species-type cannas, salvia B&B, lobelia cardinalis - all late summer bloomers.

earlier they like the lonicera sempervirens and heckrottii

o

This is my first year for hummer plants (Zone 7). So far the pentas have been a big hit. They bloom non-stop. I have seen my lone hummer feeding on Salvia guaranictica 'Black & Blue', Torenia, and Bat-faced cuphea.

The agastache 'Apricot Sprite' and monarda 'Jacob Cline' are just beginning to bloom, so I am anxious to see how well these are received.

o

I have had positive experiences with alot of what has been previously mentioned.I would also like to add Cardinal Climber and Mina lobata vines to the mix, two very popular annual vines for the hummers here in NJ .Cuphea ignea is also a hot attractor here.
-stephen

o

I have many of the plants memtioned and I hope the hummingbrids are visiting them. It has been too hot for me to stay outside lately and see which ones are favorites. I have seen them at Black and Blue salva and Coral porterweed..

Right now one is at my feeder on the front porch.

o

Hi. Bee Balm (Monarda didyma) 'Jacob Kline', Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis) and salvia greggii "Maraschino" work the best for me in NW suburban Chicago. I also keep the feeder clean and filled.

Dennis

o

This year Jacob Kline, B&B, Salvia Purple Majesty, Gartenmeister Fuschia, streptocarpella, Crocosmia, Cuphea Bat Face, and last year Gold Fish plant and Rusellia - have not been able to find the later this year - Cardinal flower has not bloomed yet - and of course Pineapple Sage when in bloom.

o

Zone 6: Western U.S.

Penstemon barbatus (beard tongue penstemon)
Stachys coccinea (scarlet hedgenettle)
Agastache cana 'Sonoran Sunset'

I have other Agastache that should be blooming for the first time soon, hopefully they will be as attractive.

BN

o

Hands down.......crocosmia 'Lucifer' is the #1 choice in my yard. I have many other attractors and the hummers make the rounds...even to flowers I didn't think they'd pay attention to.

So far, I haven't seen a hummer visit Black and Blue! This is the first year I've grown it and I still have hopes of seeing them discover it. All around the B&B I have various salvias blooming, especially a number of 'Lady in Red'.

Patrick

o

There was a huge fight over the crocosmia patch and the Lavender Lady passionvine this afternoon. Two Big Annas were going at each other breast to breast, falling on the ground and making their heckeling noises. While all this excitement was going on, a much smaller hummer flew to the top of the passionvine & kind of froze in place. The big guys never even saw her. As soon as the fighters chased each other away, the little hummer began to have a lovely repast.
I love watching these funny little birds!

Also popular at the moment:
Fushias-they seem to visit even the frilly kind.
A species canna with red flowers
Salvia Purple Majesty
The tree tobacco-always the tree tobacco!

Joey

o

Ok...gotta eat my words! Yesterday, I posted that I hadn't seen any activity at my B & B. Within a few hours, I saw it visited 2-3 times!

Patrick

o

Honeysuckle vine, orange trumpet vine, orange lillies, and they seem to love these coralbells a friend gave me. They are just a plain green Huchera with tiny pink flowers on the long stalk they put up. The humming birds work over every little flower

o

My hummingbirds are very liberal minded. This is what we have in the back "sitting garden". Two four foot Fuschia Triphylla in pots under the eaves of the florida room, then an eight foot maple stump covered in coral honeysuckle. Next to that is a Black & Blue that is yet to bloom, some Cuphea Ignea, a couple of agastaches, three Salvia Microphilla San Carlos Festivals, three Salvia Wild Watermelon backed by a six foot tall patch of Salvia Uliginosa. Then there are several Salvia Coahielienses 'spelling', a Lantana Montevidensis, backed by a big patch of Salvia Coccinea, Stachys Coccinea, and a Salvia Transylvanica.

The hummingbirds seem to work in patterns. On one visit they will hit the honeysuckle, fuschias, and cuphea. On another visit they work the bush sages and up into the Uliginosa, and on another the Salvia Coccinea. I have yet to see them hit the just opening Agastache Tuffi Frutti or any of the other agastaches. And I have yet to seem them at the stachys, although that may be because they are behind all the other plants so I can't see what's happening. The only thing that they consistently will not visit is the feeder.

o

I had a red yucca that they loved. Sorry, don't know the official name of it. It had small red flowers, not at all like the regular yucca flowers.

I've also had red hanging vine gernaniums that were popular when I lived in MD.

Deb in PA

o

Deb, where were you when you were growing the red yucca? Mine hardly grew at all in a pot last year, and it isn't growing worth a darn in the ground this year. Just sitting there, and no sign of flowers.

Lisa

o

The lobelia cardinalis works the best for me. I keep trying others but the lobelia cardinalis works the best. I keep trying red bee balm, but in ten years I have never seen any hummers at the bee balm. But the bee balm looks so nice I just went and bought a large pot of it yesterday.

Richard

o

(1) Firebush (hamelia patens)
(2) Duranta purple sky flower (duranta erecta or duranta repens).
(3) Orange trumpet vine/bush (campsis radicans) - I have seen them fighting over this in the neighbor's yard.

~ Cat

o

Well normally I would say that the number one plant for me is Salvia Guaranitica Black and Blue then followed by the plants that everyone else has already mentioned. HOWEVER, this year except for a few odd visits to a few plants they are almost using the feeders exclusively. They have made a visit or two to the Jacob's Kline Bee Balm (Monarda), the Salvia Black & Blue, Salvia Lady in Red, coral honeysuckle, Salvia Dreamsicle, and Fuschia Gartenmeister but that has been about it.

Penny
Zone 6 western NY state

o

I'm in the very south end of zone 6 near the MD/PA line and I have seen the hummers already in my gardens feeding from the wild monarda that is blooming and testing (of all things) impatiens. Most of my salvias are just beginning to bloom so they should have more to feed from in the next week or so.
spiderwoman

o

Monarda "Jacob Cline" frequently & "Marshall's Delight" occasionally
Salvia, B&B
Salvia splendens, Yvonne's
Salvia coccinea, "Forest Fire" (witnessed a few visits)
Agastache cana
Fuchsia, hanging basket, haven't a clue as to what variety
Ipomopsis, Standing Cypress (I think that's what it's called)
Ipomoea coccinea, "Orange Noah" (Morning Glory)
Ipomoea quamoclit, Cypress Vine
Ipomoea lobata, Mina Lobata/Firecracker Vine (a big hit with the migrators, not really my regulars though)
Lychnis chalcedonica, Maltese Cross (DH witnessed more feedings from this one than I did)

I did just purchase a Coral Honeysuckle, but haven't a clue as to where I'm going to put it!!!

o

Tracey - I'm glad you brought this back to the top. I'm sure there's some more plants I need to get. lol
I planted a couple Forest Fires last year and then got several seedlings from them that grew large enough to bloom before the end of the season. I haven't found any seedlings coming up this year though and I thought I would have dozens. Maybe it's just too early. Do you have seedlings yet?

My best hummingbird plant so far is my species salvia guaranitica. Other plants I've had are s. Black and Blue, a couple different s. greggiis, monarda 'Marshall's delight, butterfly bush 'Pink Delight', various columbines and the s. Forest Fire that I mentioned above. Last year was the first year for my mimosa tree to bloom (yes I know it's going to reseed everywhere and I really should cut it down) and I also have trumpet vine growing in my fencerow that I try to keep small (not working).
This year I'm adding more native columbine (only had one last year), monarda Jacob Cline, and a whole buncha red salvia splendens to get their attention.
I've never seen more than two hummingbirds at a time in my yard. Hoping the extra plants will attract more this year.

o

I'm in the K-W area in Ontario and Crocosmia 'Lucifer' is by far their favourite flower in my gardens.
They also love my hostas, monarda and kniphofia.

Lizzy

o

Lady in Red Salivia here
As well as my red petunias (unsure of variety)
My Russian Sage also does a booming business

I've not yet tried B&B salvia, but I'm hoping to find some to try this year.

o

From zone 10 in Southern California (Sunset Zone 24 - no winter freeze) a tiny, mostly shady garden.

Abutilon 'Marion Stewart(?)' , salvia Waverly and fuchsia arborescens are the preferred plants. They are the first stops when the hummingbirds enter our back yard.

Also, an unidentified standard fuchsia - if untrimmed can reach 6' - with single flowers - is a favorite, as is galvezia speciosa, Island Snapdragon.

Before the salvia spathacea succumbed to shade and damp, it attracted the hummers.

The hummers are less interested in iochroma cyaneum than I thought they would be, but its a gorgeous plant anyway. It's next to one of the fuchsia arborescens, and so gets cursory visits as the next offering in line at the nectar buffet, and then back for second helpings at the large abutilon shrub.

One year, before the neighbors remodel shaded my fence, I planted ipomoea quamoclit, Cypress Vine and mina lobata/Firecracker Vine. I dont remember that these vines attracted the hummers - maybe because there was less growing in the yard to attract them, and it wasn't on their daily route.

o

Last year my tiny friends absolutely adored my Liatris spicata 'Kobold' and a lone sweet pea vine - they also were attracted to my butterfly bushes, monarda, lantana, and one small sunflower (just to stop a rest though!!). I've planted many more supposed attracters this year, including columbine. I found the link listed below which I believe is more focused on ruby-throats than others.

Cheers!

Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Ten Hummingbird Plants (RT)

o

Galveston Island, zone 9b, semi-tropical
Thevetia peruviana-yellow oleander-the overall winner in my yard.
Shrimp plant
Oleander nerium
Passifloras
The pecan tree when blooming.
Cross vine
Salvia
They also seem to love the banana blooms!!
Someone had posted about hummers seeming to like toxic plants and I notice in my yard those do seem to be their favorites-of course they are also some of my heaviest bloomers so..
Tally HO!

o

beachplant - that's interesting about the oleander because I wondered about that last year myself. I saw my hummers over by my potted 'Hardy Red' (it was blooming most of the summer) and wasn't sure whether they were just attracted to the flower color or whether there was actually nectar in them they felt was worth sampling.

o

It is great that someone has resurrected this thread. It definately should be here every spring with as many posts as possible. It is difficult to find most of these plants in my area. And, I visit nurseries just to window shop! Last summer I found that my hummers loved a few plants and had only passing interest in my feeder. I had one dominant resident female who loved:

Agastache Tutti Frutti
Salvia Black and Blue
Monarda Raspberry Wine
Salvia Lady In Red
Honeysuckle Gold Flame
Fuschia Gartenmeister

This year I will have all of the above and have added a Jacob Cline Monarda and a Mandarin Honeysuckle. I don't know much about the Mandarin Honeysuckle except that it didn't bloom late last year when I got it as a gift.

I noted a great deal of activity around the mature Dwarf Alberta Spruces. The fine foliage (needles) are home to many small spider webs which provide food and nesting material. Last year, probably the first 10 sitings were at these trees. At the time, I had no idea why.

o

Harry - it took my Mandarin 3 years before it bloomed (last year was the first time). I originally bought it as a 1-gallon baby. It is budding up for a bloom right now.

o

For me the number one plant that they love is
Salvia Leucantha. They also love the following:

Salvia Waverly
Salvia Indigo Spires
Salvia Greggii 'Caviar'
Salvia Chiapensis
Gartenmeister Fuchsia
Agastache
Lavendar

I have not had much luck w/ my Black and Blue.
Perhaps it is getting too much shade. I will
give it another year to see if it takes off.
I have heard that this plant is a magnet for
hummers!

Great thread ... thanks!

o

I will revive this thread. My most used plants are cuphea llavae or "Bat-faced cuphea", Salvia Black and Blue, Justica or "shrimp plant", s. Greggii, Tritoma or "Red Hot Poker", Bee-balm, and Cascade Red Geraniums.

o

Great. For some this may become tedious, but for newbies this information in too valuable to miss. At this time of year, nurseries are full of plants and shopping can be so confusing.

Is there a notable difference on the west coast? Difference between preferences of Ruby Throated and other varieties?

My list is still pretty much the same as above. The Jacob Cline Monarda is my best attractant. I have also been able to find Greggii type salvias and agastache locally which work well.

o

Just though I would add my two cents for my area and I might say these top 5 could be interchangable.

coral honeysuckle
salvia guaranitica black and blue
cuphea shumannii , david verity
agastache tutti frutti
salvia coccinea [lady in red, coral nymph]

o

Scarlet sage, indian shot canna and cypress vine are their favorites in my yard. None are blooming yet of course but the hummers are hitting the feeders regularly.

o

My hummingbirds love my rose of sharon, zinnias, hosta, and penstamon (red blooms)

o

Pineapple Sage! start one early spring and by late summer- early fall you will have a 4'tall bouquet of red blooms with hummers all over it.

o

Blue butterfly delphinium and tango hyssop! My hummers discovered the tall delphinium in only a few minutes! And they fight butterflies for the hyssop!

o

Salvia Wendy's Wish

o

Bump

o
RE: What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants

Bump

o

I have a lot of different plants that hummers use in my mid-west region but If I could only have one plant in my garden it would be:

salvia guaranitica blue ensign[the mature height and spread of this guy is easily 5ft plus].

o

They absolutely love my patriot watermelon zonal geranium. I took cuttings from it so I could have more geraniums just for the hummers:)

o

I will bore you with a couple shots of my prized plant - salvia guaranitica blue ensign. Ive had this one several years and it takes a while to get this massive and spreads by underground runners/rhizomes. This one is quite massive as you can see here well over 5' in all directions but is not invasive. But you see why hummers are drawn to this one and I often see them deep inside this big guy to rest or stand guard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: What Are The Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?

Trust me. Your pictures are not boring. I find them quite inspirational. Plus, it's nice to look at something colorful on such cold days. Feel free to post to your hearts desire. I love them!
Kim

o

Hi Kim

Thanks , much appreciated

Steve

o

i have a few listed above and Texas Star Hibiscus and they loved pink fuscia (sp?)

o

Speaking of the Mallow family, here in Texas I've found these 2 to be very good:
Rock Rose, Pavonia lasiopetala (not usually mentioned on hummingbird plant lists, but both hummers and butterflies love it)
Turk's Cap, Malvaviscus Drummondii
Also Flame Acanthus, Coral Honeysuckle, Mexican Firebush, penstemons and all salvias (you can never have too many salvias).
I think the hummingbirds might be late here.Got a feeder up and enough plants blooming, but so far, haven't seen any since the winter hummers left...should be soon.
Probable freeze tonight...ugh!

o

Here is a plant for Washington state and Colorado residents.

o

LOL wyldkard. I hope the little guy doesn't go flying into things. I had no idea they went to that! You should photo shop it with the time stamp 4:20. He he.

o

In my zone 6 garden, they like monarda, and lady in red salvia the best. Hands down.

o

I just picked up some feeders today. I'm sure I have a few weeks before they get to mid Michigan. I saw a couple last year. My neighbor seems to have every flower you can imagine lol, so I think they stop in her yard. The ones I saw last year were hanging out in her 6 foot butterfly tree. I want to draw them to my yard, but the fiance won't let me plant big bushes or trees. Were still fighting stumps from other bushes, trees ect, from the previous owners. and they are breaking our fences. I'm 6b. Can you guys please list some flowers, they love, that I can place in pots to hang? Or even in a few big pots I can place on a back patio, ones that wont grow crazy all over the deck? I have a porch deck 20 ft by 12 ft, where I could place alot of planters.

o

Fuschia (annual), Russelia (annual) and Petunias

o

They absolutely fight over the Japanese quince. I absolutely HATE that bush, mainly because it's too close to my gardens and I'm always fighting suckers, but they love the blooms, and the other birds love the cover when the leaves come in.

They also liked the Zinnia, petunias in the window boxes and of course the butterfly bushes.

o

For anyone wanting just one flower, it should be salvia coccineal 'Lady in Red'. That is your backbone. The place to start. Jacob Cline and the others bloom for a few weeks at a time. Black & Blue is great, but again it is for later in the season. Start with 'Lady in Red' and then add some more candy.

o

Stupid question -- is the Lady in Red Saliva is grown as an annual in zone 5b?

If so, are they hard to start from seed.

Thank you, Tim

o
RE: Salvia from seed

bakerhardwoods,
I started Salvia coccinea (Summer Jewel) from seed, and they were easy. Lady in red is the same species. It's annual in zone 5.

This post was edited by dave_k on Sun, May 19, 13 at 14:06

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 28, 13 at 12:27

o

I've only been doing this for 6 months...the only hummingbirds I've seen are on the firespike.

o

Lobelia cardinalis and Silene regia are very good, but done now. Lonicera sempervirens gets attention and has bloomed for me all growing season in full sun on the mailbox post. Standing Cypress (Ipomopsis) variety Burpee's Hummingbird Mix has bloomed long and my hummer likes it. Salvia coccinea var. Summer Jewel blooms very quickly from seed, and long, and sees some use. Best plant overall has been Cuphea x David Verity. It's bloomed all growing season and has had one hummingbird's attention since July 3rd.

This post was edited by dave_k on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 22:21

o

Chilean Glory Vine worked for me this year..

o

Chilean Glory Vine worked for me this year..

o

Top 3 hummer plants in my gardens:

Lobelia cardinalis
Monarda didyma (Jacob Cline, Marshall's Delight, Raspberry Wine, etc.)
Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue'

They also like these in the gardens:

Salvia coccinea - all cultivars (Lady in Red, Coral Nymph, White Nymph, etc.)
Salvia Yvonnes
Salvia azurea
Tithonia
Cleome
Zinnia elegans
Assorted morning glories
Silphium perfoliatum
Aquilegia species
Dicentra species
Physostegia virginiana
Buddleia davidii
Hostas
Heucheras

o

Lantana, followed closely by Buddleia and Cannas. Honorable but shorter-season mention goes to Basil, Coleus, Zinnia, Angelonia, Plectranthus.

o

My hummingbirds are very liberal minded. This is what we have in the back "sitting garden". Two four foot Fuschia شركة نظافة بالرياض
Triphylla in pots under the eaves of the florida room, then an eight foot maple stump covered in coral honeysuckle. Next to that is a Black & Blue that is yet to bloom, some Cuphea Ignea, a couple of agastaches, three Salvia Microphilla San Carlos Festivals, three Salvia Wild Watermelon backed by a six foot tall patch of Salvia Uliginosa. Then there are several Salvia Coahielienses 'spelling', a Lantana Montevidensis, backed by a big patch of Salvia Coccinea, Stachys Coccinea, and a Salvia Transylvanica. شركة تنظيف

The hummingbirds seem to work in patterns. On one visit they will hit the honeysuckle, fuschias, and cuphea. On another visit they work the bush sages and up into the Uliginosa, and on another the Salvia Coccinea. I have yet to see them hit the just opening Agastache Tuffi Frutti or any of the other agastaches. And I have yet to seem them at the stachys, although that may be because they are behind all the other plants so I can't see what's happening. The only thing that they consistently will not visit is the feeder

Here is a link that might be useful: شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض

This post was edited by MIDO2392013 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 16:20

o

Nepeta (catmint) Walker's Low had been a hummingbird magnet this season.
It blooms for months, so it was like never-ending buffet for them. Bumble bees love it too.
Hummingbirds also were attracted to delphiniums, but those are short-blooming plants.
Here are some of my nepetas (have around 30 of them):
 photo DSC05037_zpsad82cec6.jpg

photo DSC04884_zps81fd6924.jpg

photo DSC04895_zpsf99ada08.jpg

o

Green_go,
What an absolutely gorgeous yard! I love catmint and miss it so much :) it grew well in my Ohio yard but doesn't seem to like this Florida heat and humidity. Thanks for sharing.

o

Oh my goodness - what a lovely garden - of course the hummers were happy!!!!!!

o

My low maintenance and drought-tolerant shrimp plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeders and Seed

o

So, hummers like spam, go figure!

o

Bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here