Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay733

Keeping nectar in fridge

jay733
12 years ago

I have a 3:1 water to sugar nectar solution in the fridge but it's been 3 weeks and still looks and smells the same as when it was first made. However, I heard that you should only keep it 2 weeks. Does it really only last that amount or?

How can you tell when the nectar is bad as well? I heard milky stuff and black fungus grow in it but mine hasn't yet.

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Isn't 3:1 a bit stronger than what is normally recommended?

• natal
    12 years ago

3:1 or 4:1 ... both are fine, but it's easier to keep the recommendation universal and that happens to be 4:1.

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I don't believe two weeks in the fridge will hurt. I don't normally keep any in the fridge. I just make enough for my feeders, BUT I have birds drinking from a feeder that has been up in 98 degree heat (shade)for 15 days. Fresh nectar is only 4 feet away in 9 other feeders. My birds won't drink plain water or only 1-10 nectar, so why would they drink 15 day old nectar????? If you are only going to put it out for 2-3 days, I'd say go ahead. Shoot, I'll drink it! My birds come to 5-1 and 4-1 nectar more often. 3-1, been there and done that. It just doesn't get more birds!

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I have no science to back it up just what I have observed and experienced. Lately I always try to make about what they will use in a 3 day period which is normally how long I might go. But fresher is better and I can see a difference in the hummers eagerness to use it if it is fresh and I feel the same about refridgerated mix. I feel it loses freshness in the fridge so I cringe when thinking about storing sugar in the fridge, its almost like wasting the sugar. Scientifically I could all wrong but it feels right to me.

• seafire1
    12 years ago

Someone just suggested freezing sugar water in cubes to free up space in the fridge, I like that idea and it should last a long time that way.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I will just stick with my old standby methods of making fresh.

• christy2828
    12 years ago

Nice idea freezing!!! I've often had my nectar in the fridge. It's definitely gone to 3 weeks, and the hummer activity never changed. It should be fine!!!
    Christy :)

• klflorida
    12 years ago

Ice cubes of nectar; so obviously simple! One of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. Good idea.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Sometimes I will put extra mix in the fridge but it doesnt stay there long as I have enough feeders and hummers that it gets used quickly. And if you dont have many hummers then there is no reason not to make it fresh. Sorry , just my simple mindedness.

• homerpa
    12 years ago

How hard is it to mix sugar and water? i agree w/ hummersteve; i keep some in the fridge but it doesn't last long- i'm adding every day or two. Keep it fresh! :)

• Lance Sjogren
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I live in fairly cold climate for hummingbirds, but we have the Anna's here year round. I give them 4:1 Sep-Nov, 3:1 Nov-Feb, 4:1 Feb-April. (they stop using the feeders around April since there are flowers late spring and summer) I figure they can use the extra energy of the stronger stuff in cold weather. Also, the stronger mix seems to be able to get a few degrees colder before it freezes up.

• Vicky Renee
    6 years ago

I sure wish my hummies were year round!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions