Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abnormal protrusion on a hummingbird

Posted by backyardmama North Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 15:27

My cousin in Rhode Island says she has a brownish hummer visiting her yard that has something about 2" long and about half the diameter of a little finger protruding from the lower belly area. It is flexible and has been protruding for a couple of weeks. She said it appears to be protruding from inside the cloaca. Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? She has been unable to get a photo but will keep trying. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abnormal protrusion on a hummingbird

Pet birds can experience a prolapsed cloaca, so I imagine hummingbirds could, too. There are more than a few things that can cause this, including nutritional deficiencies and parasites. How sad. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that could be done to help a wild bird. But I admit to not being very knowledgeable about this serious condition; someone else may be able to provide more insight. Or even have a different theory as to the hummingbird's problem.

o
RE: Abnormal protrusion on a hummingbird

I am the RI cousin of backyardmama and am posting the picture of the abnormal protrusion that is still there 4 weeks later on my brown hummingbird visitor. He still visits often, flys well and feeds vigorously. The protrusion seems to be narrowing at his body, otherwise remains unchanged. Any ideas what it could be?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here