Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkeye_wx

Do you hang your feeder in the sun or shade?

hawkeye_wx
14 years ago

I'm curious how many hummer enthusiasts hang their feeder(s) in the sun. I've been hanging my feeder under a tree, which keeps the nectar from spoiling quickly, but the downside is hummers cannot see it when flying over the yard. I have tried to make up for this by putting a red bucket and a couple red ribbons in the open parts of the yard, in the hope that if they come to the yard to explore them they will see the feeder, but I can't help but wonder if I might get an extra hummer or two if the feeder was hanging out in the sunshine. Any thoughts?

Comments (15)

• lov2garden
    14 years ago

I hang mine from a clear double suction cup hanger on windows that I look out most often. The overhang of the house and porch provide shade and I get a great closeup view.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I have feeders in full sun and in shade. I see no difference in thier usage.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I have a feeder in sunlight and two others in shade. The hummers prefer the one in sunlight. I think just because it can be seen easier from a distance.
    To me the only feeder location issue is how close can you place your feeders to where you like to sit and watch them. The closer the better, and three feet away is perfect.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Sun or Shade doesnt seem to make much of a difference. Seclusion seems to make a difference though and type of feeder. But once migration is in full swing in august all feeders get hit pretty hard. But it is still the feeders on my back porch they seem to congregate at most, now and during migration. I have added a cardinal climber support wall also in my backyard and wonder if that will attract even more in that area come august. Im hoping it will and if it proves to be what I expect I will post pics and vids.

• n.gwinn
    14 years ago

I have two feeders in the sun and one in the shade. My birds are not interested in the one in the shade. At the beginning of the summer, when I only have 2 to 6 birds, I simply don't fill the feeders very full, and then change the water regularly. Now that July has hit, I have more birds than I can feed. There is no time for the water to go bad because they drink it so quickly.

Hope this helps.

• shirl64
    14 years ago

I live in Vancouver,WA and I am new to hummers etc. I placed my feeder on the hook up on the patio and I have nothing but shade . I have YET to see a hummer visit that feeder.. feeling really blue as I was so looking forward to the hummingbirds..I have no red/yellow flowers on my patio as it is small (we live in an apartment) Any idea what I have done wrong or is it not the right time to be putting out the feeder?

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Shirl64

It might take a while for a hummer to find your feeder. Two things to keep in mind that might help. Make your mix
    1:3 sugar to water and after you get hummers you can raise it to 1-4. Also keep that mix fresh change it every 3 days at least.

• ala8south
    14 years ago

This year they seem to prefer one of the feeders that are in the sun. Last year they seemed to prefer one that was in the shade.
    dell

• CaGaPeach
    11 years ago

I have no shade in my Southern CA yard. So, I made my own 'humbrella.' I'm sharing the instructions free for anyone else what would like to make one. It's really easy even if you aren't a DIY-type person. I found that the commercial ones were just too expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Humbrella DIY

• eric580
    11 years ago

My feeder is in sun,but the nectar stays fresh for at least a week. The hummingbirds love it.

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

My take is that if you leave a feeder in the sun for a week the nectar will not be fresh. If you are lucky the hummers may still use it, but I will not let a feeder go unchanged over 3 days whether the liquid is used up or not. The first sign is that the liquid wont be as clear as when you first changed it. The fresher the better but maybe thats just me.

• lspalsbury1018
    8 years ago

How high should a hummingbird feeder be from the ground

• mehitabel zone 6
    8 years ago

At least so high that a cat can't jump that high. I would say more than 5'

• Donna R
    8 years ago

I always try to put my feeders under some kind of cover, my porches, tree branches, etc..but the ones that are just hanging in the sun, I just made a simple A-frame type thing out of 2 pieces of wood and drilled a hole in the center of the peak, then hung it and the feeder. It's not the sun as much as the wind and the rain where I am that really gets the feeders that aren't under some kind of cover.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource
More Discussions