Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Location for new feeder???

Posted by janice__indiana5 Z5 Indiana (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 16:29

I have 2 feeders and a garden with flowers but... I want to hang a feeder in front of my kitchen window. Unfortunately the window faces south, and is in the shade only until noon. I read were the feeders should be in the shade. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and try it, and see what happens. Do you have feeders in the sun? Do the hummers seem to mind? I figure I will probably have to change and clean it more often. I also wonder if the movement in the window will keep them away. Whatcha think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Location for new feeder???

I think you will be OK - and birds get accustomed to movement over time.

o

My wife just bought me a hummzinger feeder for my birthday. I hung it up about a foot away from the kitchen window which gets sun part of the day. No takers yet, but I am hopeful.

o

Thank you both for your in put. Less than 24 hours from when I hung and filled my feeder, I just saw my first hummer! They weren't just checking it out, they were getting their fill! So excited!

o

You're lucky. I've had my feeder up for two weeks and have yet to see a single hummer.

I ended up moving it from my kitchen window to the magnolia tree in front of the house. The constant sun was causing the nectar to foul too quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here