Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hang Feeder from a Long String?

Posted by eigdeh z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 17:28

Has anyone hung a feeder from a long string? My house is a ranch and I just hung a Droll Yankee lf-3 feeder from the gutter so it hangs down in front of a window. The gutter is 10 feet from the ground and the feeder is about 2 feet from the window. The string is about 5 feet long.

Reason I ask is that I am wondering if the feeder will act like a pendulum in windy conditions and end up breaking the glass in the window. Anyone have any experience with a feeder hanging from a long string?

Thanks!

Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hang Feeder from a Long String?

Ken

Im not sure about breaking a window but Im sure it would do a lot of swinging. Im going to show you what I have on my window, got it at walmart or you could find an extender S type you could hang from your gutter. These are just suggestions.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I bought a length of copper wire (16 ga. I think) and fashioned it into a long S hook to hang my feeders rather than using string. You can get any length that you want cut at any home improvement store. They look nice too.

Penny

o

I have used string or cord. I have most of my feeders hung from small chain that I bought at Wal-Mart. I just buy the chain and cut the length I need. I am looking at one now that hangs down at least three feet from the top of my front porch. I have never had any problem with it swinging. I will say I take it down when a hurricane is predicted to come though.

o

Wow Steve... looks like I have to visit Walmart!

Great idea about the cooper wire Penny! I will give it a shot.

mimidi, it is good to know they will not swing in normal weather!

Thanks everyone!

Ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here