Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first hummer!

Posted by gardengirlz2 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 17:42

I saw a hummer for today for the first time ever. It was hanging around my bee balm. What can I do to keep it coming back...I live on the Jersey shore and it's windy here sometimes. Can you make a hummer feeder or is it best to buy one? Thanks!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first hummer!

You are so lucky!

You can make one, but you can find a decent one for pretty cheap. The nectar is easy to make 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

o

Went to Home Depot this am, bough a feeder, red geranium and pink penstemon. Then off to a local nursery and got some foxgloves and Indian pinks. Planted them all today and thought I saw the hummer flying away when I went outside.I made the sugar water, too. Hopefully it will come back!

o

Since it is your first hummer, it wouldnt hurt to make the sugar water a little sweeter say 1:3 at first till it starts feeding from your feeder then go to 1;4 good luck and hope it stays there for you.

o

Congratulations! I know how excited I was to see my first one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here