Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevec_2007

Cardinal Climber

stevec_2007
13 years ago

This is my first year to grow Cardinal Climbers. They have gone nuts, but there's no sign of any blooms yet. From what I've read it seems they should have started flowering at least a month ago.

Any idea what I might have done wrong? Is there any way to shock them into blooming at this point?

Comments (7)

• terrene
    13 years ago

I've grown this from seed for the past 3 years. The foliage on mine is starting to really fill out now too. No blooms yet either, but it doesn't usually start blooming until mid-August, so no worry. Right now, the Monarda is still in bloom and the Lobelia cardinalis is going strong, and the Zinnias are blooming, so the hummers have plenty of nectar. The cardinal climber provides nectar for the late summer up until the hummers leave in September.

I don't know that there is anything you can do to encourage earlier blooming, other than maybe starting them inside under lights and planting them out earlier in the season, but this might be tricky to do with a vine.

• stevec_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's really odd. It seems like everyone else I've talked to (on other forums) has flowers no later than mid July. I did get my seeds started maybe a week or ten days later than I'd planned so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks.

• terrene
    13 years ago

Is everybody else from a warmer zone? It doesn't warm up here until about June 1st, so I start the annuals in cups in April (put them outside along the south side of the house) and then plant them out late May or early June. This Spring was unusually warm, but who was to know? I didn't start them any earlier than usual.

Guess that's normal for me, not sure about everybody else! It's possible they could have obtained seeds or plants that bloom earlier, because of natural genetic variation.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Mine surprisingly overwintered and greened up rather quickly, but seems to have stalled at around 5' and hasn't had a bloom yet. Sigh...

• stevec_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tracey, Five feet?!!! This is the first year I've grown Cardinal Climbers, but it seems like mine sometimes grow 5' in one day!
    I swear, I'm afraid to come to a complete stop anywhere near them for fear of getting tied up.
    If these things ever bloom I will be able to keep a hundred hummers very well fed.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

Tell me about it; last year mine climbed to about 15' and got one heck of a poof at the top, since it couldn't climb anymore. I'm beyond disappointed.

• starrlife
    13 years ago

We started some from seed in early Spring. This is the first year we have grown it and I love it! Ours started blooming about a month ago. I don't know if the huge amount of compost it is planted in has anything to do w/it.
    Is there a comparable perennial vine? I hate to have to start it every year but love the plant so much! Any input would be appreciated!
    Jessica

Sponsored
More Discussions