Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are they????

Posted by elbows 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 18:49

I have had ruby throated hummingbirds at my feeders for the past 10 years, but this year I'm lucky if I see one sighting a day. I have not moved my feeders to different places, continue to change the nectar, and have planted a number of hummer favorites, both annuals and perrenials! What's up? Any other SE Wisconsinites notice this as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are they????

I was the same way in May usually get 2 to 3 pairs at first but only observed one male until about the 10th of june they arrived and now i have 16 or so which have been feeding heavily, although i have noticed in the past few days less frequent the females are at the feeders just early in the morning and late at night. I am thinking they are nesting which is late here where i am Rainy Lake Ont. Every where i have read people are reporting lower numbers. It will be interesting when migration arrives to see if the numbers pick up.

o

ebows,

I'm in eastern Iowa and I've been asking the same question. Last year was my first attracting hummers and I had a couple regulars visiting my yard/feeder several times a day from late June through July. Two days ago I saw my first hummer in three weeks and even this one hasn't returned. It has been a terrible year for hummers here.

o

I have been getting hummers for 4 years, but I only ever see one at a time. Not sure why. ????? Anyway, I live (in Rock Co) in southern WI too and I agree. I have not seen very many hummers this year at all. I'm lucky if I see one or two a week!

o

This is my first year having hummers. We have moved to a new area and I keep three feeders out. I have had at least 20-30 that visit my feeders on a regular basis. In the past week I have noticed the number has dropped considerably and nothing has really changed. I am wondering if this is kind of late for nesting???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here