Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black and Blue...How tall will it grow in Zone 5B?

Posted by lovefornature 5B IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 18:50

I went to Lowe's today to look for a new sander and to my wonderful surprise I found black and blue salvia's. I picked up three, should have got more!!!!! What a great surprise to find these here in Central IL :) I am so happy. They are now may 7-10" tall and blooming.

I was wondering if any of you around my zone grow these. I heard that they can handle partial shade, which is what they will get in my 19' long x 8 1/2 deep bed. They will receive some afternoon/evening sun and some dappled sun intermetently (sp) in the afternoon and evening also.

How tall and wide are they expected to grow?? I need to know where to place them in the bed.

Also any tips on overwintering, fertilizing, when to plant in the spring would also be appreciated.

These things are even more beautiful in person than in the pictures.

Oh, one more question, can I grow them in a large whiskey barrel?

Thanks everyone, can't wait to get them planted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black and Blue...How tall will it grow in Zone 5B?

You can check the Salvia Forum. There has been some recent discussion about Black and Blue salvia.

Lorna

o

I can answer only one of your questions...they do great in whiskey barrels.

o

I grow mine in full sun in 12 to 14" pots. They get about 5 feet high... so far they haven't survived winters here (probably too wet) but I haven't tried very hard to overwinter them because we get young plants cheap in the spring. If you over-fertilize, you'll get lots of vegetative growth which will eventually have lots of flowers but it'll take longer to flower. They don't seem to need much feeding.

o

Hi everyone :)

I found the information that I needed on overwintering Black and Blue.

Lorna: I looked on the Salvia form (recent posts-last 3-4 pages and could not find any info), but thanks anyway.

Ctnchpr: Than whiskey barrels it is!!! I put my other (considered annuals) salvia's in whiskey barrels. Thanks so much :)

Rita: Wow, you can't leave them in the ground in Zone 8. I have heard of alot of Zone 6'ers having them survive in ground. I just now got mine at our Lowe's, so they probably will not get as tall as yours because you get yours in the spring. About fertilizing, I wonder if bloom booster would be OK. I will be sure not to overfertilize. Thanks for your kindness and info :)

o

Im in zone 6 and mine are always in the ground but have not survived winters here, but then again I have not done what I needed to give them a chance , this year I will try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here