Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolaces

feeder cleaning?

coolaces
14 years ago

i use a little dish soap and hot water , and rinse rinse rinse;hummers are hitting my feeder for one hit and leave; that tells me somethings not right; what do you all do to clean your feeders?help!!!!

Comments (12)

• anita55
    14 years ago

What are you putting in the feeder? Maybe that's the problem.

• lov2garden
    14 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing. I heard that detergents or soaps should not be used but one of my feeders is made from a pretty blue glass inverted bottle with a stopper and feeder port. How do I make sure there is no mold in the feeder? I wish I could soak it in something and know that it's really clean.

• homerpa
    14 years ago

I don't use soap, I wipe them out w. paper towel, then rinse w/ boiled water. If i have time, i'll briefly soak the parts in a pot of simmering water. I don't do all this every time, just perhaps every 3rd filling or so.

I use the hummzinger type and also the glass bottle ones that have red and yellow dots and yellow top and bottom from Lowes.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I wash my feeders with soap, water, and a little clorox. Rinse REAL WELL and set aside to dry. I never have a problem with the hummingbirds using them. I have 9-10 feeders hanging. I thought one time the feeders needed to be sterilized but it finally hit me that the first time a hummingbird put his nasty little beak in the feeder all clean was gone. No telling how many little bug parts get left in that water.

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

If you are really rinsing well-Then it may be something else.
    Right now the Hummers have their choice of the very sweetest nectar in what is blooming. Many of their favorite plants are at least a 33% sweet formula or more.
    If your birds are taking one sip and leaving--I think you should try a sweeter mix--I would go 2 to 1(2water&1sugar). If they like that then you can go 3to 1 and see if they will keep coming. I never offer less than 3 to 1.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

I always use dish soap and hot water to clean my feeders and then rinse well never have a problem with hummers coming back to the feeders. So maybe you do need to sweeten you mix a little. I use 1:3 sugar to water most of the time, sometimes its 1-4. But if you use 1:3 you shouldnt have a problem with them drinking your mix. The 1-4 mix is most likely closer to what they get in flowers. But the sweeter mix would be best untill you get some coming to the feeders regular.

• coolaces
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANKS ALL ; think ill try a sweeter mix;

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I never use soap in my feeder I either use 1 part clorox to 10 parts water (approximate measurement) or vinegar and water. Both of these will sterilize the feeder and not leave a residue like soap does. then I rinse for a couple of minutes in cold running water and air dry. I was told that soap can leave a residue that the hummer can taste. As for the nectar itself, I use 3 parts water to 1 part sugar no artificial color whatsoever.

Penny

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

For bottle feeders I use hot water and brushes , bottle brush and range brush. For base or saucer type feeders that do not not come apart for easy cleaning, If I see mold forming I use a mix of water and vinegar or straight vinegar and let it soak. You can also use a toothbrush to get down into tight places that you cant get otherwise. I mainly use soapy water and a sponge on the outside of the base of feeders to clean any dried nectar around the ports and the entire base. I try not to get soapy water inside but I know I do , just rinse really well and the hummers dont seem to mind.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

How often do you change the nectar and wash out your feeder? I just bought my first hummingbird feeder so I'm not quite sure. Should it be done everyday? Thx.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

cadence-- I usually change mine every 2-3 days if they dont empty it first.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

hummersteve ~ thanks for your help. I just hung it the other day and I was really excited to see my first hummingbird at 8:00am, when I was sitting on my patio having my morning coffee. That's the only one I've seen so far. I have it hanging near at from the corner of the eaves on my dh's workshop. In the shade by the cedar trees. I hope it will be okay there. We do get raccoons around here from time to time. I could hang it from my lilac tree if it shouldn't be hung near the cedars.

Sponsored
More Discussions