Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drought affecting hummingbirds

Posted by daddydon5 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 19:16

I previously posted regarding the low hummingbird population in Montgomery County, Maryland. I have also noticed many others posting on the same subject.
I just returned from a business trip/vacation to Tucson, AZ. I always visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, where they have a wonderful hummingbird aviary (which I highly recommend if you are ever in southern Arizona). I ran into a very knowledgeable docent at the museum who happens to be an avid birder. I asked why the late hummingbirds and the low population. She told me the drought in the southeast has prevented the hummingbirds from coming north this year. She told me I should continue putting out the food because I may have visitors I don't even know about and to be patient. This woman seemed very credible and has visited Ecuador to see the hummingbirds there. I hope this helps -- it sure helped me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drought affecting hummingbirds

That's interesting, and it may explain why we have more Hummers than normal this year. I'm in central VA.

I wonder if the pack I'm seeing in my yard got this far during an earlier, wetter spell, but can't move farther north because it has been so hot and dry.

My flowers are terrible this year because of the weather and the Hummers are keeping my feeders drained - we have to check them daily and refill them as needed.

DonnaVA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here