Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Hand feeding hummer

hummersteve
14 years ago

I decided to move this post and start my own threat so more people would see it and add their own great hand feeding photos. Here is an old photo I took and and not very good either and I havent tried since, sorta hard since Im by myself. Did this two or three years ago with a lesser camera. Did this in august early in the morn when I was having 20plus or so in my front yard. Dont know why I even kept it, good for a laugh I suppose. Come on I know some of you have something better than this lets see em.

Comments (6)

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Steve, I've tried this many times, to no avail! What's your secret?

Donna

• LaurelLily
    14 years ago

Oh, Steve, I am so jealous! I just got in from trying to videotape my first hummer of the year on day two, and he flew off once he caught on, even though I was moving slowly. And yours is just so used to you! And it sounds like this is a regular thing in your garden? How cool. Best I got last year was them learning to ignore me near the feeder.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Sorry Steve, but that is much better than you give it credit for! Nice shot and it is great that you were able to do that. Give it another try!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I dont know that I have any secret, my flower garden is about 7x25 ft and when migration is on they really work over my garden. Because of that I thought that I could pull this off. Takes plenty of patience though and confidence. Donna as many hummers as you get during migration I know you can pull this off too. I may try it again this year. I have all of the same flowers that you all do, black and blue/green and blue, licorice mint, lady in red, subrotunda, crocosmia lucifer, tutti frutti, blue ensign in my main flower garden. I will tell you though that when that hummer drank from the feeder I had quite a rush going on. Maybe I was just lucky, but when I get enough hummers in my yard I will try it again. You have to have a lot of em to have a chance. This year though because of coolish weather everything is not in bloom that should be.

• hummbirdjoe
    14 years ago

Hi Steve
    Your shot of that hummer coming in close was exciting. When a tiny bird bridges a chasm of trust with the world's greatest predator, it can change your perspective. Another individual made a video of hand feeding hummingbirds. Sorry I didn't pay enough attention to recall the website, but I'm sure those who are interested can find it. Another very detailed description of hand feeding hummers can be found in the book entitled Hummingbirds and Flowers They Love. Here is a shot that I took of a hummer landing on my hand. It does require patience. You will never forget the experience.
    OK, Steve, I need help. How do I add the photo from my MAC iPhoto to this posting?

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joe

I emailed you hope its not too confusing with my explanation . Yes, when you can make a connection with a tiny bird and it puts its full trust in you in such a way it is a feeling you will never forget. But it does take some patience and what a rush it gives you for when a hummer comes that close you can feel the wind from its wings. I remember the event as if it was yesterday. If you still have trouble posting the image email me back and I will give you my phone number and I will talk you thru it. Good luck

Steve