Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hummers and crepe myrtles

Posted by mistymorgans 9 CtFl (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 20:19

I have a large pink crepe myrtle blooming right now, and it is the one blooming flower that I never see a hummingbird on. Is this a nectar-poor flower? I see about 10 hummers, and they hit on every blooming thing around here, and I have increased both the amount of feeders and flowers this year and it has truly paid off. Really just wondering if anybody knows about the crepe myrtle, Thanks, Jae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hummers and crepe myrtles

Well, I planted crepe myrtles(5) in my yard simply because I love them, not knowing it would attract wildlife. This is the first year they have really bloomed heavily, they have been established for about 4 years now. I have always had butterflies and dragonflies feeding, but never had a hummingbird until this summer. Just today I saw 4 hummers all in the crepe myrtles. I think I will put some more feeders up as well. That is all my father does and he has about 20 hummers at his house.

o

I love crepe myrtles and have 3 very large ones, but was under the impression the hummers weren't interested in them. I'm going to pay closer attention to that part of the yard. If the hummers do indeed like them, I'll plant more.

o

Thanks for the input. I was just a little surprised that I never see hummers eating from the blooms, so was just wondering. Maybe to many bees on it? Oh well thanks again, J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here