Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummingbird what kind did i see?

Posted by daycorp (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 20:27

My authority on hummingbirds is watching them outside when drinking my coffee. I LOVE when I see one. Tonight, I saw one in our garden that I had mistaken for a bee at first glance. This hummingbird, as best I can describe, was the size of a goldfish at best. It did not have much color, and I thought to be even faster than the greenish one we normally see. It had very little color though. Forgive my ignorance if it's overflowing. But, I wasn't sure if this was a "baby" or what. It was tiny. Anyone know what I may have seen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummingbird what kind did i see?

Where are you? if you're in the east, you almost certainly saw a hummingbird moth. We've all been duped by this insect!...it really does look a lot like a hummingbird in flight, and nectars on the same flowers.

They come in various sizes and colors...here's one that might fit your bill.

o

That is my guess also. I once had a great photo of one and I dumbly deleted it from my albums. It was the first time I had seen one , I was outside before daylight drinking my coffee and saw this thing in the flowers that knew could not be a hummer that I could barely make out , got a nightshot of it and later found that it was a hummingbird moth.

o

I am in Northeast Ohio. It looks very much like the one I saw. I had my 1yr old in my arms, ran to get my video camera, I must not have had it recording properly trying to balance son, and camera... i was so upset I lost the video I thought I had. It was about 3-5 mins of REALLY good video too as I saw in through the camera. Is it possible it was the hummingbird moth in Ohio? It was extremely fast

o

Seems likely in NE Ohio. They still dupe me!

o

Funny, I just came across this post.My granddaughter is her(northern VA) from Tx and is enjoying my garden. Her mom said they saw what they thought was a hummingbird but looked like a moth since it had antenae but it's wings were beating like a hummingbird. My granddaughter called it a hummingbird moth and suggested we google it. Sure enough, that's what they saw. None of us had ever heard of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here