Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who are you looking at?

Posted by davemidohio 5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 21:42

This juvie male seems to know what is going on. I think he is posing for me!

DSC_0290a

Here is a link that might be useful: Juvie male

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who are you looking at?

Wow, that's a great photo - very clear. How close do you have to be to get pictures like that? Is that Salvia 'Black & Blue'? The hummers really seem to love it!

o

LOL; nice shot. I think I'm drooling over the B&B too; I couldn't find one plant locally anywhere this year, sniff sniff...

o

Terrene,
I sit about 4 feet from the flowers. I use a Nikon with a 70-300 zoom with a Macro setting, set on Macro. This photo is the only time I can say I was TOO close.

DSC_0280

This is "as shot". I actually had to lean back a little for the autofocus to work! You can see the reflection of my flash in his eye!

This is the first year Black and Blue salvia has really done well for me. The adults seem to find it quickly. The juvies go to the Navajoe Bright Red and Lipstick salvias first. I will have a lot more of both next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here