Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Hummer Plant Pics....this is my first year

lovefornature
15 years ago

Well, no biggie here, I was just proud to know that my brown thumb was easy on me this year and I grew Coral Nymph and Lady in Red in Whiskey Barrels successfully. They are blooming really well now. This is my first year for hummer plants, there will be more next year.

Comments (10)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Sounds like you are hooked! :-) Are the hummers visiting your sages? Agastache is a favorite of hummingbirds. I have two of the type called Hummingbird Mint. The flowers are extremely long lasting.

Lorna

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

Beautiful!! They're so lush and healthy. No evidence of a brown thumbprint on those babies!!

• DYH
    15 years ago

If you can grow those in pots, you can grow them in the ground, too. Those look great!

Cameron

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone :) I know it seems that they are not much to look at, but if I could have got a closer shot of these they are stunning!! They have surpassed the size that was stated they would get in height. I just wish that the flowers would not fall off so easily....they are very delicate.

Lorna: I have seen a few hummers visiting them. I am on year 2 of my complete landscape makeover and am outside a lot...but believe it or not, I don't have time to watch all of the time because I am so busy. I will have to check into the hummingbird mint. Is there a certain variety. Sorry if I sound dumb.

ctnchpr: I cannot believe how healthy they are either. I believe these are the best plants I have ever grown. I have never even had a leaf go ugly or crispy. I believe this is why my brown thumbprint was not left on them :)

Cameron: Oh, but I just love them in my pots....I think the hummers probably like them better too because they are higher off of the ground.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

LFN- Excellent job beautifull lush and full, do you have more plants.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

lovefornature, you might want to join the Cottage Garden forum, or at least lurk. There is lots of great info on landscaping, plants, cultivation, etc.

There are many types of agastache. One variety is called Hummingbird Mint. It has a female first name attached to it, but I can't remember what it is, Eva's maybe--it isn't necessary to identify the plant. I believe hummers like all of the agastaches, but are exceptionally fond of the Hummingbird Mint. It is perennial in many zones. Here is a photo of one of mine. The dog weighs forty pounds,to give you an idea of the size of the plant.

{{gwi:593193}}

Lorna

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Hummersteve: Thanks for the comments. I do have Black and Blue, but just found it at Lowe's a few weeks ago and transplanted to another Whiskey Barrel. So blooms are sparse. I am hoping to overwinter the tubers. I also have Bee Balm (Raspberry Wine) but it was too young to bloom this summer. One more plant John Clayton Honeysuckle, which was too young also, I am having trouble trying to find out where to put the trellis and it is driving me crazy!!

Lorna: This for the info. and picture on the Hummingbird Mint. I really like purple a lot. I live in Zone 5B Illinois, would it be a perennial here. What state do you live in and what kind of earth do you have? I think I heard Agastages (sp) do better in the west.

I sure wish that people would post more pictures of their hummer gardens.....I have so much trouble putting things together. I think I have OCD about this!!

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I live in central New Mexico. Until recently I thought I was in Zone 6, but it turns out to be 7b. I do get snow, but not a lot of it. Somebody on the Cottage Gardens forum said they can grow agastache in Michigan as an annual. Cameron is growing agastache in North Carolina. My plants are growing in sandy, alkaline soil. I put some compost in the planting hole, and I fertilize them once a year.

I recently bought a Blue Fortune agastache. I haven't yet seen the flowers, but the plant, itself, looks entirely different from my Hummingbird Mint agastache. I'll be very interested to see what this plant looks like at maturity. Penstemons are also good for hummingbirds. It is a large family of plants, all different kinds (tubular flowers).

Lorna

• DYH
    15 years ago

Lorna,

'Blue Fortune' is a favorite of the Monarch Butterflies. Here is Blue Fortune in front of the 'Salmon and Pink' agastache. Different bloom forms. The hummers prefer the Salmon and Pink and the butterflies and bees prefer the blue fortune.

Blue Fortune is at least 3 feet tall and maybe 18-20" wide in my garden, having been planted in 2007.

Cameron

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Thanks, Cameron.
    Lorna

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions