Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phloxmom

Wasps, wasps and more wasps!

phloxmom
15 years ago

I have a problem with wasps constantly hanging around each of the feeders.

Is there something safe that I can use to keep them away? They often cause the hummers to flee too soon.

Thanks.

Comments (22)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

You can lessen the amount of sugar when you make the nectar. Wasps prefer a high sugar nectar. At this time of year the hummers are feeding on flower nectar, so it shouldn't be of any harm to them to have lower sugar content.

Lorna

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

I have had the same troublesome wasps at my feeders for the past two or three years and I had not found a solution that helped untill recent . I have tried all the remedies , higher sugar content lower sugar, moving the feeders, putting vegetable oil on the outside, homemade feeder with juices, nothing really worked they always went back to where the feeders were. Then I found this beehive looking orange thing at a local rural king, also you can order them online. The first full day I had 6 dead wasps. I used the juice I had on hand which happened to be cranberry, but I think applejuice or cider might be a better choice, but what Im saying is this worked. The oil on the outside worked to a degree but its kind of a pain to deal with. I dont have any other bee problem just wasps, this thing works for me. like I say you can find them online. Heres what mine looks like: Mine cost $4.99

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

What is it, hummersteve, a wasp trap? Wasps and hummingbirds don't get along. I would like to mention, if you are a gardener, wasps are your friends. Wasps are a great help with insect pest control. Many types of wasps eat insect larvae.

Lorna

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Lorna-- that is exactly my point I have so many wasps they are driving the hummers away from the feeders. I am quite aware of the what wasps do and they are a total nuisance around here and for many folk who love hummers.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Although I am offended by your testiness, I will pursue the matter. So, what is that contraption, hummersteve? Is it a hummingbird feeder with some sort of wasp barriers? Or, is it a trap? I had to quit hanging my hummingbird feeder because of ants. The hummers don't like them either.

Lorna

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Lorna, that is a wasp trap, used for catching and killing wasps. It does not feed hummingbirds. Thanks for the tip on the catcher, steve.

Some wasps are beneficial to the garden while others are not. Many are aggressive and will sting a one-year old like my daughter without warning. I kill them without remorse when they nest on or near my house. As for my hummingbirds, I use wasp-proof and ant-proof feeders to avoid any issues there.

By the way, although I can't speak for anyone else, I too might be taken aback if here on GardenWeb someone offered advice beginning with "by the way, if you're a gardener..."

• debbie321
    15 years ago

Where on line can I get one? I too have them running my hummers off, plus they are by my door and want to fly at ME too/
    I am allergic to Wasp stings!!

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

debbie 321--- You can take a look at these and see if you want them, cheapest I found. It appears the opening is in the bottom of container. I would order the the yellowish one since bees are more attracted to that color.

Here is a link that might be useful: wasp catchers

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

debbie321--- Those glass ones look nice and you wont beat that price online. The one I have is just plastic and it has entry tunnels as you can see around the sides. If you liked it better I could pick one up and send it to you for about the same price including shipping and handling. That would be round about since you would have to send the money to me first. Just a thought. good luck whatever you do.

Steve

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster, thanks for the clarification. What is wrong with saying, "By the way, if you are a gardener..."? Why would it take a person aback? This is a hummingbird forum. Garden Web covers a huge variety of topics, many of which have nothing to do with gardening.

Lorna

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Lorna, I was just trying to offer an explanation for any perceived "testiness". I hope you weren't offended.

I do think most people who post on the Hummingbird Garden forum on GardenWeb would consider themselves gardeners of one kind of another. It's true we're probably more casual in here in general than, for example, in the Trees or Name that Plant forums. But people who are hummingbird enthusiasts on here realize that gardening is part and parcel with attracting these fascinating birds. That's just my opinion, and I may be wrong.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Good to know, mbuckmaster. That hadn't been my perception of this forum, but I don't doubt you are correct. I rarely get hummers because I live in the Chihuahuan Desert. I do have one resident hummer.
    Lorna

• christy2828
    15 years ago

My cousin just got this wasp trap, and says she caught several wasps within the first 24 hours. They are made from recycled glass. I think they're pretty, too :) Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Recycled Glass Wasp Catcher

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Christy--- If you look at my earlier post you will see the same wasp catcher at "goodwill too" but for only $3.99. Im sure you just missed it. But thats at about $8 or $9 bucks cheaper. The only entrance being on the bottom. The one I have is cheap plastic and Im getting 6 or 7 wasps in there by the end of the day. It has several tunnels or entryways on the sides of it. It does seem odd to me that the bees cant find their way back out, even by accident .

• christy2828
    15 years ago

Ah, I didn't see it. That is a good price, the shipping is a bit high. It still works out $6.00 cheaper including price and shipping :) Where did you buy those plastic ones? I'm guessing not online, which store sells them? Thanks, Christy

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Hi Christy-- No, I got the plastic one at rural king. I realize everyone doesnt have one of those but evidently you can get them online,, www.pic-corp.com

• navymom2226
    15 years ago

Cut the top of a plastic soda bottle off, right where the bottle starts to curve and get smaller. Take the top and stick it into the remaining bottle, so it is facing down.
    punch holes at the top, and wind string thru holes to keep it together. Also make a long string to use as a handle. leave the cap off. You now have the perfect bug, spider, earwig and bee catcher.I put in sugar water; jelly,, anything sweet to capture ants, wasps, etc. that are bothering the feeders. I have a small hook near the ground to hang it on... near the hummingbird feeders.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Lorna, why did you take your hummer feeder down, because of the ants? You could have just purchased an ant moat to go on top of it or purchase a feeder that has an ant moat.

Is there a problem with killing ants too, are they beneficial, cause here at my home I have millions that invade my yards and land and even my home every single year. I was told I have several colonies. I think sometimes they live in my walls.

As far as wasps go, they like to build around my back door, they do not bother my hummer feeders, like the ants used to. But......they do get into my house a lot since they build right next to the back door. And there is nothing like having flying wasps in your home, along with ants.

I do nothing about either, except kill them when they are in my home.....and use an ant moat for my feeders. Now if I was getting wasps on my feeders, I would probably do something about that.

Whenever my daughter tries to weed eat, she get hoarded by bees and gets stung sometimes. I suppose it is the kind that burrow in the ground. She is 16 and scared to death of bees, but still does it. What do we do about this situation?

I think in certain situations, you have to do something, whatever that might be, good or bad.

Do you get JB's? What do you do about them?? I am at a loss because I think I am going to lose a large tree because of them.

• phloxmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi hummersteve!

What an awesome idea! I would love to purchase one of those and I'll make sure to check out that link to order one.
    My home computer is not working, therefore I can only check for follow-ups when I visit the public library. I'll be getting a new computer soon.
    OT: Does anyone know how I can set up my account to receive responses via my email address? I can never tell if anyone has answered queries.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

the wasps get to my hummingbird feeders and they always attack my son, but the weird thing is, they NEVER attack me or my daughter, now here's the kicker, she is a very happy child, and i am basically calm. he is always kinda hyper, or busy, so i tell him, he needs to be calmer, when he drinks his sleepytime tea. he can go around them and they won't even budge. so i think its all in the vibrations they get from you.
    ants are a no no. they bite. and lay them nasty eggs and pee on things that you can't tell.
    navymom-i totally love your idea!! i'm sooo building your trap tomarrow!! well, tonight!! LOL thank you sooo much for sharing!! and thank you steve also for sharing yours, i was thinking, hmmmm how could i make one of these?? ahhhh with the drill!! yep, that'd work great!! LOL actually i will with the drill and the soda bottle!! LOL **big grinn**
    ~Medo

• breenthumb
    15 years ago

Phloxmom, when you start a thread there is a box to check between your message and preview that says something like notify me of all responses. That will make sure it goes to your email.

Its easy enough to forget so I always check it first then continue to post mssg. Sandy

• phloxmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi breenthumb! I was so glad to see your post pop up in my email. I must have checked it for once! lol!

Thank you!

Sponsored
More Discussions