Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uninvited guests at the feeder !

Posted by bouquet_kansas z6Ks (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 21:57

I recently purchased a feeder and hung it from our arbor.
After only one day there were ants climbing the wooden posts and making their way to the sweet nectar in the feeder.Any suggestions on stopping them ? No hummers have arrived yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uninvited guests at the feeder !

Use an ant moat filled with plain water. The ants won't go near the water. Works like a charm you can buy one or make your own out of a small container like an aerosol pain can cap, or small single serving size vegetable can. Small birds like chicadees or goldfinches also like to drink the water out of ant moats so you may have to refill it but since you are using plain water it is perfectly safe.

Penny

o

I agree with Penny, ant moats work well for me as well. I make my own out of spray container caps, super glue, and coat hanger wire. But you can buy them as well.
My finches will drink my ant moats dry in a day if I dont mix some dish wash soap with the water (They have a lake close by for water).
There are lots of posts on this forum about help with ants if you want to search. Good luck.

o

Perky Pet rose petals feeder has the ant moat built into it. Just a thought, but if you make your own its cheaper of course.

o

Thanx all of you for the idea of the moat...will make one soon.......

carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here