Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do hummingbirds nest

Posted by aprice9066 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 21:58

I continue to have less activity this year than last.....do they stay away from the feeders more if they are nesting? When do they nest? I did not have my first bird until the end of May and I am in Columbus Ohio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do hummingbirds nest

They supposedly get started not too long after they arrive from their winter homes. Per some of the hummer sites out there, that would be June/July on average. And yes, the female will spend more of her time incubating eggs and also collecting insects forregurgitation to feed the babies until they fledge. It supposedly takes from 2 -3 weeks for babies to be ready to leave the nest.

I expect that if your neighborhood females were nesting in June, they should be out and about with the babies soon.

I've included a link below to one of the popular hummingbird websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds.net

o
Nesting

I live in Kansas City, Missouri and have only attracted two hummers - male and female. The female appeared first for three or four days and then the male appeared. I have only seen them together on the feeder once. In the last two days have seen no sign of the female although without fail the male stops by every 10 to 15 minutes. I am just curious where the female might be??? Can she be nesting this early, it is May 28th? When they are nesting do they not feed at all? I realize you can't say for sure but what could have happened to her? Found another feeder in neighborhood (doubtfully) or has moved on? Does the male and female usually stay together.

Thanks for your anticipated reponse.

Donna

o

Been feeding hummers for over 25 years. Currently in south Arkansas. I would try putting out another feeder or two and of course some red stuff to attract the birds. Hummers prefer their own area, but if they can not have that, they like their own feeder. With so few birds, I might try putting them far apart; but where you can see them. I would start at say 15 feet apart depending on the size of the area you have to observe. Get the small cheap feeders at Walmart (about $4). P.S. The gentleman on hummingbirds.net does bandings in Missouri. I have been to two hummer bandings down near Abita Springs, LA and one was really great and the other fantastic! Try to attend a banding in your area. You will be glad you did.

o

Donna,

The male doesn't stay with the female after mating and has nothing to do with the rearing of the babies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here